Tail Gate Is Hard To Latch?

smallblock500

My tail gate just got hard to close I have to slam if about 10 times to finely get it to latch and stay up. The springs on the latches seem a little rusty but not that bad I just put a little 3-n-1 oil on them and it did not seem to help any. It feels like its something inside the tail gate with either the handle or the control rods. The gate opens fine every time and the latches seem to work fine by hand. Are the striker posts adjustable like they are on doors? Maybe they just need to be adjusted back a little so that the claw grabs them better?

It is in the handle. This is a known issue unfortunately there isn't much to fix it. There are two arms inside the handle that pivot on a central point. The rods then clips into these arms. When you pull the handle these arms are pushed down and pull the rods releasing the latches. Then when you slam it and the latches engage the arms come back to neutral position. What happens is rust builds up inside the handle and the point in which those arms pivot. The rust prevents the rods from easily returning leaving the rods pulled in the open position. When you slam the tailgate you can sometimes force the latches to lock and the arms to return. You can lube the hell out of everything and it'll work for a while. Eventually you are going to have to replace the handle which isn't too hard and usually the bezel because it breaks coming off. Then years down the road you will be right back to where you are now. :sigh: I am working on some fab ideas to prevent this or at least help.

It is in the handle. This is a known issue unfortunately there isn't much to fix it. There are two arms inside the handle that pivot on a central point. The rods then clips into these arms. When you pull the handle these arms are pushed down and pull the rods releasing the latches. Then when you slam it and the latches engage the arms come back to neutral position. What happens is rust builds up inside the handle and the point in which those arms pivot. The rust prevents the rods from easily returning leaving the rods pulled in the open position. When you slam the tailgate you can sometimes force the latches to lock and the arms to return. You can lube the hell out of everything and it'll work for a while. Eventually you are going to have to replace the handle which isn't too hard and usually the bezel because it breaks coming off. Then years down the road you will be right back to where you are now. :sigh: I am working on some fab ideas to prevent this or at least help.

.....It is an issue with the rods/mechanism.........I pulled mine apart about 4 yrs ago, cleaned it up, and lubed it up, and have had no problems at all.....My gate shuts effortlessly...probably better than when it was new........