Bodydrop

nblizz

Would somebody help me out with this....I need to kno how low the cladding is in relation to the frame. I'm bodydroppin my SS & don't want the cladding hangin below the frame. I took this measurement before I tore the truk down, but have misplaced & forgotten what it is. So if someone would measure(under the cab) their frame to ground & lowest part of cladding to ground I will greatly apreciate it.

Thanks, ~Blizz~

Are you doing a full floor BD or just cutting off and lowering the body mounts on the frame? If you are gonna go through the effort to lay frame on an AWD SS and BD it, then you may just want to have the cladding a c*nt hair above the frame for better looks IMHO. And the measurement you want will vary depending on ground level and how the truck sits. If it helps, the cladding is around 2" lower than the rockers on a stock Silvy.

Edited by SSplaytoy (see edit history)

he wants to know how far above the bottom of the frame is the lowest part of the cladding 1''? 2''? 3''?

Exactly. A regular Silverado requires 2.75" of bodydrop for the rockers to be even with the frame, I only want to bodydrop mine enough for the cladding to be even witch the frame. I'm doing a channeled floor vs a stock floor or traditional style, meaning I'll be lowering the cab mounts. Thanks for the help guys, I really need an accurate measurement thou. ~Blizz~

Here are the measurements I got:

From the lowest part of the frame, which is actually the trans crossmember: 7 9/16" from the ground

Ground to cladding: 9 3/8"

So the frame sits ~ 1 13/16" lower than the cladding at it's lowest point.

I tried putting a level on the bottom of the crossmember to the cladding and measuring the difference and came up with about the same measurement, but the truck isn't PERFECTLY level. Hope this helps ya man. Got pics of the progress on the truck?

I tried putting a level on the bottom of the crossmember to the cladding and measuring the difference and came up with about the same measurement, but the truck isn't PERFECTLY level. Hope this helps ya man. Got pics of the progress on the truck?

Thanks. That's what I needed to kno. I thought it was close to 1 3/4", but wasn't sure enough to make the cut! Pics....well I'm not much on stopping to take any, buy always wish I had em when I get thru! Maybe now since I've become a member of a couple forums i'll take some & share. Thanks again for the help, ~Blizz~

Thanks. That's what I needed to kno. I thought it was close to 1 3/4", but wasn't sure enough to make the cut! Pics....well I'm not much on stopping to take any, buy always wish I had em when I get thru! Maybe now since I've become a member of a couple forums i'll take some & share. Thanks again for the help, ~Blizz~

IMO you dont want the measurement form the tranny crossmember you want it from the frame rail if the crossmember hanges down than build/buy new crossmember so it doesnt hand down below the frame rail's i have a BD'd s10 and thats how i did mine i rebuilt the crossmembers

IMO you dont want the measurement form the tranny crossmember you want it from the frame rail if the crossmember hanges down than build/buy new crossmember so it doesnt hand down below the frame rail's i have a BD'd s10 and thats how i did mine i rebuilt the crossmembers

True, but he didn't say anything about fabbing up a new one, so I just gave him those measurements. But I agree with you if you want a truck to lay out and look like it has a BD, then that would be the correct way to do it. Otherwise your technically only layin crossmember :jester:

If you're around S. Fla, I would be willing to help if you need it :cheers:

But seriously, you should post up some pics! :pop:

Thanks for the offer to help out, I'm in NE Texas so.... :dunno:

Bout those pics :crazy: hopefully I'll slow down and take some!!!!

Yea I'm with ya on the build a new x-member that's not hanging below the frame. I'm not certain of how much the trany x-member hangs down, but I can subtract that measurement from the 1 13/16 to come up with the actual cladding to frame distance.

Yea I'm with ya on the build a new x-member that's not hanging below the frame. I'm not certain of how much the trany x-member hangs down, but I can subtract that measurement from the 1 13/16 to come up with the actual cladding to frame distance.

I'll see if I can get a measurements from the bottom of the cladding and the bottom of the frame tomorrow if you post up a few pics :jester:

Another way to do it is to lay the frame on the ground and crib up the body 1/4" or whatever you want the difference to be.

I guess "crib up the body" would be the same as shim up the body? And here goes....my truck isn't bagged & I don't plan on baggin it. Sounds crazy I know, to bodydrop a truck that isn't bagged, but really(IMO) it makes perfect sense. It solves the problems of the ugly frame being visible & the lack of suspension travel(when lowered). Sure it's a lot of work, but what isn't thats worth doing or having? Thanks again guys for all the help, ~Blizz~