Is It A Front Hub?

67camaro02

I replaced 1 front hub a year or two ago because the truck would noticeably pull and then correct or over correct the opposite direction. That one was obvious. I jacked the truck up and there was all sorts of play on the passenger hub. I replaced it and all was well.

Well, the truck has started doing the same thing (but not as aggressively). I've jacked it up several times and checked, but both hubs seem nice and tight. :confused:

Could just a needle or 2 in the bearing be bad and that is why I can't tell the hub is bad or is there something else I should be looking at? I appreciate any help or guidance :cheers:

So there isn't any play in the wheel when you push it in and out right? How about up and down with the truck jacked up? Might be a balljoint or bushing somewhere that you are feeling. The bearings come pre-packed and I have never seen just one needle in a bearing that is messed up, so I doubt that may be it.

no play left/right/up/down/in/out but it sure as hell is acting like a bad hub, except that it isn't consistently happening.

Seems like ony certain situations (both low-speed and high-speed) like backing out of my drive and going ove the curb or going over speed bumps or in the snow or hitting bumps in the road. I haven't noticed it when turning or going around curves (like i did when the hub went out and the truck would somewhat dog track)

Edited by 67camaro02 (see edit history)

Sounds like it's time to get mine to the alignment shop too...mine does the EXACT same thing when I hit an uneven surface. I know the driver side shock is blown as it leaked all it's oil out the other day. I didn't notice any play in my hubs but my front tires are wearing the inside down like they are toed out at the bottom. She drives great 99% of the time but sometimes I hit an uneven patch or a bump and she wants to walk left/right/left for a second and it's annoying.

Sounds like it's time to get mine to the alignment shop too...mine does the EXACT same thing when I hit an uneven surface. I know the driver side shock is blown as it leaked all it's oil out the other day. I didn't notice any play in my hubs but my front tires are wearing the inside down like they are toed out at the bottom. She drives great 99% of the time but sometimes I hit an uneven patch or a bump and she wants to walk left/right/left for a second and it's annoying.

that sounds exactly like what I am experiencing except I don't have a blown shock

how is your steering box? any excess play or movement in the steering wheel? my dealer just replaced my steering box under warranty for noise, and now I'm all over the road.. :mad: use to have about 3-4" of movement L/R and the truck would react, now it's 10-12" movement L/R.. :fume: the roads here S**K most of the freeways are asphalt and grooved. taking mine BACK Friday.

when you get it aligned, have them check your box for excess play..

good luck

TSB..#PIT4208B this is all i have on the steering box.. sorry can't be more help :seeya:

Woo! Not my hubs or anything mechanical. I took it to the shop today and the guy drove it and said it's a combination of worn out tires tracking the road and bad alignment. He noticed the toe out at the bottom of my wheels before he got in and said "There's one of your problems." He asked me if it's been doing it just recently and that as the tires wear down they tend to track the grooves in the road really bad. He said to get some new tires and come back for an alignment.