Hpt Vs Evi Live Vs Others

smallblock500

I'm looking into getting a tuner set up for my truck and maybe a my G/F's bonneville with the 3800 supercharged motor in it. I already have a program to tune the 3800's but it only does 3.1 , 3.4 , and 3.8s. So I have done a little research into a few tuners and so far HPT seems to be the most complete. What do you have and how do you like it? So far all I have to tune would be my 03 SSS and the 00 SSEi the SSEi is not a must have but it would be nice to be able to tune both with one program so when we go to the track i only need 1 computer. I have DHP for her car and it only runs on windows XP so I have it loaded on my old slow computer that I only use for her car and it only works about 70% of the time.

If anyone has one could you up load a SSS file so i can download a few demos and see what they are all about? it does not matter if its just a stock file or one that been tuned i just would like one to import and play with thanks!

How much experience do you have with tuning? Hp tuners is not for an average user, you will need a wideband and know what you are doing to have it give you any type of real gains and not do any harm to your car. If you don't want to spend the time learning and tons of trial and error then you're best off with a hand held or get get a dyno tune or a mail order tune.

I have tuned my G/Fs bonneville with the 3.8L supercharged motor in it but the only V8 that ive tuned had a carb on it. So as far as V8 tuning goes i have no exp but tuning in general i have about a year with the V6 and have made some nice gains with it. Her MAF went out in it and i was able to tune the car and get it running until we were able to get a new MAF.

I have tuned my G/Fs bonneville with the 3.8L supercharged motor in it but the only V8 that ive tuned had a carb on it. So as far as V8 tuning goes i have no exp but tuning in general i have about a year with the V6 and have made some nice gains with it. Her MAF went out in it and i was able to tune the car and get it running until we were able to get a new MAF.

What kind of software were you using?

its a 2000 bonneville SSEi with the 3.8L supercharged L67 V6. mods are 3.3" modular pulley, stainless headers, 3" catless exhaust going to 2 2.5" flowmasters, LS1 MAF and soon to have a LS1 throttle body. The trans just went out in it as as soon as our taxs come back it will get a built trans with 300M input shaft, chrome moly pump shaft, hardened 4th clutch shaft , and a 3.29 ratio 7/8th" chain gear set. then if we have any money left over it will get a set of 245/50R16 Nitto 555R's and the fun will begin!!

Now that you know all about the bonneville can anybody give me advice on a tuner program for my truck????

Edited by blue-03-SS (see edit history)

they both have their pro and cons and you can't go wrong with either one. There is a higher start up cost for EFIlive but in the long run its cheaper, especially if you start tunning more vehicle or do custom operating systems on them. All EFIlive products come standard with Wide band o2 support with out having to use creative way to get it to work. The support on both forums is great. I like the layout of EFIlive better and the fact that all tables are label for easy access is a plus. AND lastly you can go to the EFILive website and download the program and navigate trough it as a demo and you will be able to see everything that you can do to your truck, at the moment HPT wont allow that. And personally, its great to test drive a product before commiting to it.

Both have very nice features.What I do like about HPTuners better is the fact you can hand smooth the 3d tables which EFILive does not do.

One thing I really like about EFILive is there COS3 for nitrous users,this is very nice!!

It is really a personal preference IMO,you can not go wrong with either or!!

Both have very nice features.What I do like about HPTuners better is the fact you can hand smooth the 3d tables which EFILive does not do.

One thing I really like about EFILive is there COS3 for nitrous users,this is very nice!!

It is really a personal preference IMO,you can not go wrong with either or!!

I am not exactly sure on what you mean here, but efilive does have the feature to linearly smoth out cells, it works for both rows, colums and both at the same time. which ever you need