What Size?

smallblock500

I've been looking at mufflers to replace my stock one on my 03 SSS. The stock exhaust seems to be pretty good with nice smooth bends but I just want a LITTLE more sound out of it. I don't want loud if I can help it I just want it to sound like i think a SS should so far its looking like I will go with the magnaflow 3" DI/DO with the 22" case. For tips I would like to have 3" ran back to the bumper and tucked up and turned down so that you don't see the tips. However none of the shops here have mandrel pipe benders so they might not be able to bend pipe that big to go over the axle if they cant do that I'll dump it before the axle. A few guys on fullsizechevy.com say to go with a 3"in and 2.5"out so keep some back pressure even though for now I will be keeping my stock cats. What do you think I don't want to buy a ready made exhaust system I dont have the cash right now for a full system. Another option is 2 3" mufflers setting side by side if I go this route I could keep it quieter with some super turbo mufflers. This would also help with drone because the mufflers would be setting up right instead of laying down flat.

The truck is stock except for a K&N drop in. My plans are just to add a shift kit and a tune to get rid of the TM and leave it alone I plan on leaving this truck pretty mild.

Edited by blue-03-SS (see edit history)

if i was going to re-do my exhaust and wanted it quiet but still have a nice growl i would go with this muffler...Magnaflow #12468...and just weld it in place of your stock muffler. The stock tailpipe and tip are pretty good for routing the sound out the back so you dont get alot of interior drone but if you dont like the way a tip looks im sure you can find a shop somewhere around that can do mandrel bends and do the dumps under the bed how you want them. You dont really need to go 3" in/out unless you really want to...the stock pipes arent 3" so the 2.5" will be easier for the shops to just weld up in place of your stock muffler. The vid at the bottom is my current setup, it was with stock manifolds & cats into 2 magnaflow mufflers, smaller than the one i posted for you to try...so naturally it is louder than what the one in the link would be.

EDIT: Also, if you are going to run 2 mufflers id suggest getting an x-pipe installed before the mufflers, it makes everything alot smoother and tones it down a tiny bit.

th_100_0750.jpg

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

any more input on this? I think I heard on here somewhere that the stock pipe size is 2.75 so thats why I'm torn between the 2 sizes the shops here don't stock 2.75" pipe or mufflers so I either have to go up or down a size. Can I save a little money by going with the 2.5" stuff or should I spend the extra and get the 3"?

any more input on this? I think I heard on here somewhere that the stock pipe size is 2.75 so thats why I'm torn between the 2 sizes the shops here don't stock 2.75" pipe or mufflers so I either have to go up or down a size. Can I save a little money by going with the 2.5" stuff or should I spend the extra and get the 3"?

Stock pipe size is 2.75 outside diameter/ 2.5 inside diameter to the muffler inlets. So if they have 2.5 id pipe then your good to go :cheers:

stick with the dual 2.5". plenty of flow for a n/a motor with bolt ons. what muffler(s) are you looking to go with?? depending on how loud my exhaust is with the headers and no cats i might be ditching my 14" magnaflows for a di/do 22". Ill just have to wait and see if i can stand the noise.