How Fast Can I Go Before I Break Stuff?

From what I've been hearing the drive train in the SSS's seems to be pretty stout. With the exception of a shift kit to help the durability of the trans how much power will the stock axles/t-case take before I have to start adding beef? I think I've read on here about guys pulling 1.6 60 foot times on stock (I think) stuff? Then what ties can I look for in the 1/4 to need what mods? What drive train mods do I need to get into the 12's or into the 11's...? A shift kit is sorta a given for even a stock SSS that sees any track time but what else do I need? I would rather build it now than break it and be stuck with out a truck to drive.

for 11's youll want a fully built trans , billet input/output shafts. pretty much check out flt and look at their parts list on the lvl 7 and you will have your trans grocery list.

for the xfer case/axles they are pretty stout and some nut not many have broken the case. dont think i have seen axles fail yet.

rear end is also something that is pretty strong since it doesent see all of the power. for now im planning on doing a tru truck with forged moser axles and a girdle. my goal is low 10's. so you may be ok with the stock rear with some main studs and or a girdle .

drive shafts are pretty stout as well . front end diff , there isnt many options out for it since its so puny. some have looked into doing a 3/4 ton 8.5 diff swap but nothing as of yet.

mach 1

but really, things break at different speeds for different reasons at different times. manufacturing and maintenance play huge roles in the life of every single part.

at the same time, even upgraded parts can't handle some of the abuse of race applications sometimes. all you can do is do your research, choose the best parts, and spec them for your application. best word in the racers vocabulary is "warranty," but just like even the top of the line parts, the warranty expires too. gotta pay to play.

i know some individuals who have had bad luck with their built transmissions.

Edited by WODY™ (see edit history)

Sweet thats what I was wanting to hear. sounds like besides a shift kit I should not have to worry about the drive line for a while. For now all I plan on doing is a shift kit so I can get rid of the crutch GM calls TM and a CAI. Very later down the road I plan on a turbo but that wont be at least for a year or more.

Sweet thats what I was wanting to hear. sounds like besides a shift kit I should not have to worry about the drive line for a while. For now all I plan on doing is a shift kit so I can get rid of the crutch GM calls TM and a CAI. Very later down the road I plan on a turbo but that wont be at least for a year or more.

What did you want to hear? The stock transmission is a time bomb even behind a bone stock truck. Start racing it and adding bolt ons and you better be saving up for WHEN it goes. I'm almost fully bolted running high 13s and I worry about it all the time. Front, rear and T-case will hold up fine as long as you don't do a lot of AWD burnouts. Oh and trust me you can once you get some bolt ons.

13.19@ 101 and my stock trans went with around 66k on the clock. Front diff had issues at 64k. When the trans went, the transfer case also went at 66k miles. Even with a built trans, my 3-4 clutch pack started slipping after 35k. At 37k, lost the 3-4. The builder is taking good care of me even though its out of warranty.

I've made several 12 sec runs with my TBTC, zippy shift kit and servos. Zippy also does my tuning so my trans has held up great so far(knock on wood). I think with our trans it's luck of the draw. Mine has 93K miles on her and plenty of those are boosted miles.