SS Silverado 1/4 mile

mike02HD

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Admin
Sorry, I think part of the problem is the abuse of the term stock.

Stock Z06's dont run 11's.

Ok, so, lets define stock then.

My friend had a K&N airfilter and a 160 deg thermo. Both are not going to do anything drastic. He ran an 11.8 before he put in a vararam. Now with dot drag radials, and the vararam hes 11.5 :)

Sorry, I think part of the problem is the abuse of the term stock.

Stock Z06's dont run 11's.

Ok, so, lets define stock then.

My friend had a K&N airfilter and a 160 deg thermo. Both are not going to do anything drastic. He ran an 11.8 before he put in a vararam. Now with dot drag radials, and the vararam hes 11.5 :)

Your right those things dont do much.....

but Stock means driven off the showroom floor paper filter and all. (and on street radials............tires make a HUGE difference in the Z06 times.)

Stock assumes everything is just like it came from the showroom floor (new) with the oil being the only thing changed. :thumbs:

Its easy to cut weight also... only a very small amount of gas, no wiper fluid etc. could possibly get you another tenth by cutting ~ 75 - 100 lbs. a proven fact ;)

Wanna go faster...remove the AC, passenger seat, wipers and motors, jack and spare etc....there is too much to list.

Again, the better driver is always key. :cool:

I have seen 11.9?? at the track from a stock Z06.

Where are these 11-second stock Z06s running?

It sounds like more Cecil County Raceway times to me!

The quickest Z06 I've seen at the track has run 12.90s...... and that was on drag radials. The only other couple I've seen run were in the 13.10-13.30 range, although I'll freely admit that the track I frequent is nearly always crappy for traction (Firebird Raceway in Phoenix). All of us "truck" guys are always trying to line up next to 'Vettes...... especially those!

I'm also waiting to see a new SS run at the track. :smash:

All over the country isn't where I live. I'm just telling you that around here they don't go that quick. I'm sure there are very many tracks in the country that they don't run those quick numbers either. The beauty of the internet is that it lets everyone pool the absolute best numbers they've ever heard for a certain vehicle and make it sound like they all run that good.

The Dakota R/T community has wrestled with this quick track - slow track stuff for a while, and having a single National Meet once a year pretty much put it all in perspective for everyone. Get everyone together to run the same track at the same time in the same conditions and all the great times they got at Cecil didn't mean squat! All of a sudden somebody that went 13.50s in Maryland now goes 14.40s in Arizona. It was a humbling experience for a bunch of people after they got a chance to see that the guy they razzed for being slower online was actually quicker once the trucks raced each other.

With that being said.......... what tracks are all these quick times being run at? I might just have to go on a couple of trips to some quick tracks! Where do you race at Ratfink?

I race at Several tracks in North and Central Alabama as well as in Bowling Green Kentucky.

I run pretty much the same ET at all of the tracks, given the fact that they are all withing a few hundred feet of elevation.

There are slow tracks everywhere, elevation and weather conditions play into this greatly. But just because a Z06 won't run a 11 at 10,000 feet in poor air doesn't mean it won't under better conditions.

The NHRA has a correction factor for altitude, ever tried using it for ET's at your home track for comparison?

RF

The NHRA has a correction factor for altitude, ever tried using it for ET's at your home track for comparison?

I've run the NHRA correction factors for all the tracks I've run at........ as well as run the corrections for atmospheric variables also. Those are all good and fine but nobody ever takes them into consideration when they're talking about times online. Besides the fact that shitty track prep isn't something you can readily compare on a chart! hahaha

Most of the R/T guys felt that our tracks here in AZ were about the same as LACR (which they ran at for a magazine article), which when you are talking about all these tracks you have to take into consideration the temperature extremes. How do you quantify bad air and poor track prep at the same time? Everybody that has decent temps, tracks and altitude will totally dismiss any attempt to explain it.

I use this URL to help me gauge my times between different conditions and tracks:

http://www.frii.com/~morrisc/cars/tools/elevation.html

It doesn't do much for comparing track prep....... but it helps to be able to track progress even with different atmospheric conditions.

Here's a video from the Truckin' Nationals in October. (the white truck)

91 degrees with 20% humidity, 1450' altitude - and of course poor track prep.

http://krcperformance.com/images/Scott%20L...0vs%20Duner.WMV

Track prep and atmospheric conditions are always a factor.

But just because it won't run it under poor conditions is no reason to say that it won't under better or ideal conditions.

As it happens most of the tracks I run at are near sea level, and generally are well prepped. If a track isn't well prepped I won't waste my time running there.

RF

exactly, and well put. just because you aren't seeing them numbers around you don't mean it isn't happening. go to a place like englishtown and you'll find a fast track. even the local tracks here are well prepped and low altitude with good times coming out. i proved my point at a local track a couple years ago. there was an M6 WS6 running there and it made a 12.92 pass in stock showroom type form. this meaning stock filter, tires, etc. stock. it's all in the driver, track, and a good car as not all are the same. corrected numbers on the other hand is like giving flywheel numbers after you dyno at the rear wheels. it's estimating and that's great for paper racing, but what you actually do is another.

I'm sorry.......... you guys are right.

Just because they don't go that quick around here I shouldn't jump to any conclusions about other places. I guess I'm just jealous that other people have quick tracks to run on instead of where I have to run. It's all the same anyway....... better track prep or air works for me as well as them. As long as I can stay ahead of them, all will be good!

I wanna run on some decent tracks!

a stock zo6 in the 11's is gonna be a rare beast. my best on f1 supercar radials car in stock form was a 12.66 well preped track sea level 45 degree weather power shifting 3/4 semi power shifting 2/3. my car is a 01 less hp than the 02 and 03's, but i have seen maybe 1 post that was a credible 11 sec run in a stock zo6 and it was 11.9999 or there abouts on the corvette forum. the driver is what i would consider more than experinced also.. on drag radials 11's become more common in a zo6. my car with sevral mods varam intake, shorty ,headers ,tb, ,perrille p zeros has bumped the 11's a time or 2 but not often and when it did i was thrown off the track

Archived