SS Silverado 1/4 mile

mike02HD

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey folks what's going on. I'm new to the forum. Just thought I'd ring in on this topic. Getting back to the SS 1/4 mile time, did anybody see the Car and Driver test on the SS?

It did a 14.8 @90. I thought that time was incredible for a stock SS. I found that if your a reasonable driver you should be able to beat the times in the magazines, just because they are testing the cars with a full tank of gas and test equipment. Has anyone run there SS. I can't wait to get mine it is being built the week of 5/19.

I live in the northeast and we seem to have a real fast track as I ran a 12.96 @ 110.67 in my vette, Car and Driver tested the car at a 13.1 @111. It is a stock 03 vert mn6. I did power shift through the gears. My 60' foot time was respectable for runflat tires (2.08). :)

Hey folks what's going on. I'm new to the forum. Just thought I'd ring in on this topic. Getting back to the SS 1/4 mile time, did anybody see the Car and Driver test on the SS?

It did a 14.8 @90. I thought that time was incredible for a stock SS. I found that if your a reasonable driver you should be able to beat the times in the magazines, just because they are testing the cars with a full tank of gas and test equipment. Has anyone run there SS. I can't wait to get mine it is being built the week of 5/19.

I live in the northeast and we seem to have a real fast track as I ran a 12.96 @ 110.67 in my vette, Car and Driver tested the car at a 13.1 @111. It is a stock 03 vert mn6. I did power shift through the gears. My 60' foot time was respectable for runflat tires (2.08). :)

:wtf:

They may have tested a ringer, as the general consensus on here is that the stock SS will run 15.2-15.3 in the quarter. However, every make will have a few that make it out of the factory particularly strong. What a coincidence it would be for a magazine to get one of them. :D

You have to remember though, that short of atmospheric conditions and elevation, the SS should have very consistant times. There is no drama, and very little skill to driving a auto trans 5000lb truck down the track (especially one with AWD). Foot off of brake......... floor it. This is nothing against you guys of course........ I wish my L was that easy to drive at the track.

It was about the same when I would take my '94 Lightning to the track (runs very similar times stock, to the SS). I absolutally loved it compared to my 5-speed '91GT. For someone who doesn't go to the track all the time, the stick car was a real challange. 1/4 mile times could easily vary by more than a second depending on how good I did shifting. The Lightning was a very pleasant departure from that. I could have read a book while driving down the quarter. :D This is part of the reason why you will see widely varying times for stick cars in different magazines. The new SRT-10 truck with the 6-speed should be a real bear to drive well at the track.

Now, the '01 Lightning is similar........ however, due to the tremendous torque right off idle...... wheelspin can be a real problem. This is something you SS guys don't have to worry about. For that, I envy you. :)

It is possible the tested SS has been well broken in. I don't know if it would make enough difference to account for the difference in track times, but I have heard that you don't get full power and economy out of a motor till it has some miles on it. Most of us here are still pretty low on miles. I am at about 3K, Jwest is probably a bit higher by now, but 10 -15k is still a ways away.

• Admin
11 Seconds in a stock z06? Yeh right, the best time chevys very own pro driver has gotten out of the 2002 z06 (405hp) was a 12.3 and that was making clutchless upshifts.

11's wouldnt be impossible to reach at all with some mods, but tottally stuck it isn't happing.

Yes, its really true. I've seen a Z06 with only a K&N and 160 thermo go 11.5 :eek::cool:

• 2 months later...

ACCELERATION (Seconds) Zero to 30 mph: 1.9 40 mph: 3.0 50 mph: 4.6 60 mph: 6.3 70 mph: 8.3 80 mph: 10.7 90 mph: 14.8 Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.8 Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 3.4 50-70 mph: 4.3 Standing 1/4-mile: 14.8 sec @ 90 mph Top speed (governor limited): 109 mph

thats the SS specs on accleation

ACCELERATION (Seconds) Zero to 30 mph: 1.9 40 mph: 3.0 50 mph: 4.6 60 mph: 6.3 70 mph: 8.3 80 mph: 10.7 90 mph: 14.8 Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.8 Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 3.4 50-70 mph: 4.3 Standing 1/4-mile: 14.8 sec @ 90 mph Top speed (governor limited): 109 mph

First of all, welcome to the site and congrats on your SS :cheers:

Second, where did these times come from?

Hey new,

Add 4/5 miles per gallon and drop your et's by 10 seconds. Zaino your truck. Welcome to the boards.

PS Don't check my figures. Just trust me on this one. :jester:

Honest Lee

• 3 weeks later...

QUOTE (newdriver85 @ Jul 24 2003, 01:01 AM)

I got the information off of Car and Driver magazines website @ SS silverado times

and I finally got my truck,... not an SS though :(

i got a 99 silverado 1500 extended cab with the 5.3 liter engine so i still got some power :D ethier way its a chevy and thats all that matters :P but im gonna add headers/exhaust and all that so ill be able 2 crank some more horses out of my baby, not as good as an SS but it sure beats a pinto eh

Archived