One Week. One Breakdown. No Worries :)

tayldss

Took the SS down to the Florida Keys for some fun in the sun this past week - all went well until we were heading back and started to hear some nasty grinding and growl coming from the front driverside... sounded almost like a flat so pulled into a gas station and checked tires/brakes but all was good - headed back down the on ramp and it was the worst sound i'd ever heard when 900 miles from home 4pm on a Friday. Made it to the next exit and hopped on the phone and gps - AAA had a flatbed onsite in 45 minutes and I was hauled to a chevy dealer in Hendersonville. 88 miles from my buddies place in Asheville, NC and my AAA gets me up to 100 miles tow FREE, that dealership was on the way. Tossed back a few that night while the truck sat at the shop and 9:30am that next day (Saturday) I had a phone call confirming my front hub assembly was shot and they could have it ready by noon. All-in-all this was a great trip and as far as the truck breaking down it couldn't have worked out better...

We have a few silverados in the family and the wheel bearings/hub assemblys seem to go... they went at 70k and 80k on my uncles and cousins - got'em beat with 118k on the SS :jester:

post-18170-1269905329_thumb.jpg

post-18170-1269905340_thumb.jpg

post-18170-1269905351_thumb.jpg

post-18170-1269905362_thumb.jpg

post-18170-1269905380_thumb.jpg

That sucks you had to get towed, but sounds like it was a fun trip! :)

I was lucky enough to be safely off the interstate and waiting in 70's and sun with help on the way - "it is what it is" and it coulda been a lot worse. Free towing and fixed near where I was going to stay for the night anyways.

averaged 17mpg for the week/trip with a decent period of 80+mph on the interstates

hey just hit 119k on mine. I blew the front diff this past winter.. Not fun

Pics of the truck look good

what should i look/listen for with that front diff??? I lucked out with the hub assembly b/c i've heard it before...

Too bad I don't have the truck. It woulda been nice to meet up with a fellow member. Where in the Keys did you go?

AAA is a savior and worth every penny IMHO. That woulda been an expensive tow. Glad you got it fixed and that nice ride back on the road.

As for the front diff, if you hear a howling that coincides with your speed, check your diff fluids. If you have shavings in them and the oil smells burnt, chances are you need a rebuild man.

We spent 4 nights in Islamorada, 1 crazy night in Key West, 1 night in Miami, 1 night Asheville, NC.

AAA Plus was $80/year for the 100 miles free tow and all, would be $3/mile for every mile past 100! Well worth the shot of finding a shop within 100 miles of breaking down to get stuff fixed :cheers:

Thanks for the tips on the front diff - I've noticed a light howl but hasnt changed much... figure its just the typical noise of awd? I got all the fluids changed at 100k...

Too bad I don't have the truck. It woulda been nice to meet up with a fellow member. Where in the Keys did you go?

AAA is a savior and worth every penny IMHO. That woulda been an expensive tow. Glad you got it fixed and that nice ride back on the road.

As for the front diff, if you hear a howling that coincides with your speed, check your diff fluids. If you have shavings in them and the oil smells burnt, chances are you need a rebuild man.

Haha one time when truck was getting towed they did send out a Ford towtruck. Lets just say the driver didnt like me very much, my roomate had to finish dealing with him lol

Good thing it wasn't a Ford tow truck. :chevy::jester: