Addicted To Modding

04CHASE

im not here to post any new stuff ...... yet .

ive said to myself im going to keep my new duramax stock engine wise. a friend that built my motor and owns a large engine building company that does pretty much every sand car on the west coast was helping me use a tech 2 to reprogram my radio for a back up cam . he said here take my 08 2500 d-max for a spin . it is all stock with a dpf and some mild tuning ( he did have the dpf deleted but put it back on to smog )

well i go and figure it will have a little balls but whoooooaaa i was really impressed it would have given my 12 sec camaro a run for its money from a roll. it pulled like a mofo im still in awe. to think i can have a reliable truck running 13 flat being lifted and reliable is unbeleiveable. for the cost to make it last compared to getting one of these trucks in the same area is actually a bit cheaper but not much .

to run these times i would need

built trans - <4k with a stall

tuning 750 - efi live v2

lift pump - 500-600

turbo back dpf delet- 600-750

so for just over 5k this thing will be a beast . but here is the kicked the lmm ( my engine ) and the lbz have a small possibility of a weak piston . not a huge one but id guess 10% chance.

im really having a hard time deceiding . as i dont have anything fast to drive regularly so i need my fix . i guess its better than being addicted to drugs but it costs more . i know im not the only one with this problem . i need to get older or something .

Edited by 04CHASE (see edit history)

the sad part is i can see myself having more fun with this than the ss

also at the same shop my buddy owns a guy with an buckshot x5 just put a bigblock in it and blew it with about 30 hrs total . he is looking to sell it and would take about 80k with the motor out and getting rebuilt . im thinking of asking him to trade for a nice SS truck .

here is what i am looking at ( it will have a 632 )

http://www.buckshotracing.com/x5.html

its actually the sx5

i totally agree. i cant leave anything alone. it doesnt matter if its my daily driver or not. i have to do something to it. the idea of a fast and reliable daily i think is the ultimate goal. enough to get you fix and still make it to work. plus still have a rocket ship to drive on nice days or weekends. i say do it. as long as it doesnt take funds away from the SSS. thats basiclly my plan for my ss. fast and reliable and when i need to go stupid fast i can just hop in my soon to be turbo v8 s10! either way you got 2 great looking trucks. later gary

the sad part is i can see myself having more fun with this than the ss

also at the same shop my buddy owns a guy with an buckshot x5 just put a bigblock in it and blew it with about 30 hrs total . he is looking to sell it and would take about 80k with the motor out and getting rebuilt . im thinking of asking him to trade for a nice SS truck .

here is what i am looking at ( it will have a 632 )

http://www.buckshotracing.com/x5.html

its actually the sx5

those are bada$$ but a 1000rwhp ss crusing around town or taking it to shows and what not to me would be alot more fun. i could get the same thrill on the dunes with a $10k modded atv. just my opinion. gary

those are bada$$ but a 1000rwhp ss crusing around town or taking it to shows and what not to me would be alot more fun. i could get the same thrill on the dunes with a $10k modded atv. just my opinion. gary

one of these ??

DSC02534.jpg

DSC02535.jpg

it will run with the fast sand rails but not a 1000 rwhp big block . i doubt the guy will go for it as i will still have to finish the SS . i also got the look from the old lasy when i mentioned it . she loves the SS and to see me do all that work and not get to enjoy it would be stupid.

im just a little frustrated with the SS right now because of the time its taking . dont want to get into that right now but its not my fault is all i will say.

lol i thought about this the other night when i was looking at your other thread. Its hard not to mod anything i drive and no it dont help to get older. I havent' bought anything for the ss in a couple of years but I have completly modded one of my land cruisers to the max. I have learned not to mod my dd due to it being a tow truck for the other rides and it really needs to be reliable.

With all the money I have spent and seen and help friends do their rides whether it be engine or suspension mods, we have all come to the "I've learned my lesson" and "I'm done" conclusions but never stick with them. I will always mod a vehicle or toy even if it is a DD or a money pit. As long as I have the time, money (sometimes), and the ability, I will mod til the day I die. It's just something in my blood you know.

BTW, if you're gonna start running the boost and power up on the d-max, go forged FWIW. And nice Banshee :thumbs:

the ss is the first thing i have ever really modded. all my cars would have a good stereo but that's it. i can be really tight with my money but i see cash sitting in my checking accout i would like to spend on something to go faster. the new to me DD isn't fast at all so i've been looking at older vettes to restore or maybe a fast mustang, camaro or trans am. the local car group has lots of fast mustangs, camaros and trans ams so it would be easy to get into that stuff. Plus the jeep grand cherokee gets really good gas mileage so i don't even see a reason to keep my old DD(1995 grand prix se). I say wait a little to mod out the new truck. try to finish the ss before thinking about getting rid of it. Enjoy it a little and then see if you really want to move on. i really only miss mine because I don't have anything that can go fast. nothing like insant hp from a FI vehicle. so much to consider :cheers:

Chase getting older dosent in any way make you want to slow down . it just helps you figure out a few was to go faster without having to spend alot of time doing it . because you have already done it and know a better way of doing it believe me i know for a fact . every time i build something new its always faster than the last one i had and i was able to do it cheeper than the last one .

I just got my new cam in the mail yesterday and of course my wife was the one to get the package off the porch and said let me guess it's something for the truck. After I told her it was for the truck and she saw all the other parts for the swap she asked me the same question. "Why do you always have to change or modify things? Can't you leave well enough alone?" My answer "NOPE!" Then I said to her don't worry there are more parts on it's way. So now she is going shopping to make things even.

BTW I love both trucks and the Banshee. I already know you will power up the Max. That is what a gear head does. Lookin forward to the new build as well as the new old build.

time will tell but i was looking at boats yesterday and i now have a long term goal , in a year or so i am buying an eliminator . they are very expensive but will hold value , be tons of fun in the summer and just look bad ass .

i want something 28-30 ft , cat , dual big blocks . its going to cost but its a good long term goal . so i have to get on the saving train again for the next year or so .

also for shits and giggles took out a 2010 camaro SS with a 6 speed manual today . gotta say wasnt impressed . my camaro would have walked it pretty easily. i couldnt even get it sideways with the tcs off. nice car but definatly needs mods the first day.

sand rails , maybe one day but a boat is first . everyone i know that has a rail has spent a fortune fixing them

this is my goal

32679_1.jpg

this one has 2 496 h.o. mag motors. will do a bit over 100 mph and into 120 mph with blowers. but this one is over 6 digits. gotta dream , dream big .