Looking At Getting Another Set Of 317'S

I found a couple set of 317 heads that are just ready to install on the truck as is. I was gonna get another set of these for P&P. I was thnking just using stock head gaskets and using LS6 springs with them. What all would be to use with them far as springs, retainers, seats, valves, etc? Deosnt matter if its stuff from a LS engine or comp part. Im just trying to figure out what is good for a good head build that will be NA for a while and maybe SC later on down the road. If anyone has any advice on how far to port and mill them let me know that as well. I also plan on getting a TBSS intake with bigger injectors w/ a 90 TB for the install as well. Any advice here is helpful, thanx guys in advance.

A P&P would be nice but I wouldn't mill the heads any to bump the compression. A higher compression isn't good for F/I setups. Springs depend on the cam you are gonna put in there. Most people stay under a .600 lift so the Comp 918s are fine and seem to be a popular choice. They come with Ti locks and retainers anyway. As for the valves, some people like the sodium filled ones because they are lighter but they also bend easier.

Im not sure what cam Ill go with either. I just know I want a mild NA cam that could be used for boost later on so I dont have to switch it out again. Also one with a nice lope to it so I was thinkng one with a 113 seperation or so.

Get in contact with Mike (Zippy) on here or Pat G on PT.net. Either of the two can spec you a great cam and have it ground out for you. That would honestly be your best choice. FWIW, get a cam for a n/a setup for now. Then when you go F/I, get a blower or turbo cam. It's more work, but the benefits will be better.

Get in contact with Mike (Zippy) on here or Pat G on PT.net. Either of the two can spec you a great cam and have it ground out for you. That would honestly be your best choice. FWIW, get a cam for a n/a setup for now. Then when you go F/I, get a blower or turbo cam. It's more work, but the benefits will be better.

Thanx bro. I had considered getting a hold of Zippy to see what he says so I will do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Im going to buy another set of 317's. The set I found have been milled .004 over stock so I was wondering if that will bump compression much cuz like I said i plan on doing a SC later on down the road and I dont want to go back and switch heads again. I also am gonna pick up a set of LS7 lifters with 300 miles on them and a LS2 timing chaing with 300 miles on it. Both for 175 shippd whih I thought to be a good deal.