First Time Homeowner Appliance Question

Ruben525

I am 21 years old and purchasing a house for the first time (if everything goes well, im in escrow), I really don't know much about appliances so im asking for advice. I am debating between two brands for the washer and dyer, either LG or Samsung, both are gas dryers . The model number for the LG washer is WM2101HW, and DLG2102W is the model number for the LG dryer. Then for the Samsung washer the model number is WF220ANW, and DV220AGW is the model number for the dyer. I was going to by which one had the best reviews but since the samsung just came out with the models I really cant say but the LGs had pretty good reviews. There both front loaders and both look nice, I just want to ensure that which ever one I choose is going to be something realiable and also going to last. I was also looking at a whirlpool refregerator model ED5LVAXWQ and a GE dishwasher GLD4408RWW. Since im barely starting out im trying to find the right appliances for my budget. Any input on any of these appliances would be greatly appreciated.thumb.gif

LG = thumbsdown.gif Bought top of the line washer and dryer from their brand. The washer crapped the bed twice within 6 months and their customer service was absolutely horrible. Fixed it the first time under warranty, but the 2nd time they would not return even when it was still under warranty (the problem was wide known for that specific washer). I have still heard bad stories about their washers to this day. The dryer has performed well though.

I will never buy LG ever again. Cant comment for Samsung (their TVs are great) but I know Bosch puts out a great washer (what we replaced the LG with). I would stay away from digital controls also.

LG = thumbsdown.gif Bought top of the line washer and dryer from their brand. The washer crapped the bed twice within 6 months and their customer service was absolutely horrible. Fixed it the first time under warranty, but the 2nd time they would not return even when it was still under warranty (the problem was wide known for that specific washer). I have still heard bad stories about their washers to this day. The dryer has performed well though.

I will never buy LG ever again. Cant comment for Samsung (their TVs are great) but I know Bosch puts out a great washer (what we replaced the LG with). I would stay away from digital controls also.

Did you have alot of problems with the digital controls? Don't all of the newer frontloaders come with digital controls?

I am 21 years old and purchasing a house for the first time (if everything goes well, im in escrow), I really don't know much about appliances so im asking for advice. I am debating between two brands for the washer and dyer, either LG or Samsung, both are gas dryers . The model number for the LG washer is WM2101HW, and DLG2102W is the model number for the LG dryer. Then for the Samsung washer the model number is WF220ANW, and DV220AGW is the model number for the dyer. I was going to by which one had the best reviews but since the samsung just came out with the models I really cant say but the LGs had pretty good reviews. There both front loaders and both look nice, I just want to ensure that which ever one I choose is going to be something realiable and also going to last. I was also looking at a whirlpool refregerator model ED5LVAXWQ and a GE dishwasher GLD4408RWW. Since im barely starting out im trying to find the right appliances for my budget. Any input on any of these appliances would be greatly appreciated.thumb.gif

I have a samsung front load washer and dryer. the dryer is electric though. I haven't had any major issues. I had to have the repair man come out a while back. He actually said the old school top loads are more reliable because the front loaders have sensors. My problem was that it wasn't drying the clothes all the way (the vent was free and not obstructed) He said there is a sensor in the door that the clothes fall on to and touch. if 10 cycles go by and the clothes dont touch- it stops the dryer. I believe in my case the loads were too small. Hope that helps.

I do not know about LG, I imagine they do all have digital controls to "appeal" to the customer but its a suckerpunch. The Bosch front load has turn dials. I guess LG has some issues with their digital controls and suds/water corroding the electrical setup, along with other seperate issues. We got to the point where we were putting in a spat of soap that was the size of a dime and still it was causing problems.

I would highly recomend the Bosch, we have many of their products in the kitchen also and they are great (my mom cooks with the chefs on tv and runs her appliances about 14 hours a day) if you want the serial/part number let me know.

edit-I also agree with ThePDB that toploads are the best choice to go with for washers.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

I have a samsung front load washer and dryer. the dryer is electric though. I haven't had any major issues. I had to have the repair man come out a while back. He actually said the old school top loads are more reliable because the front loaders have sensors. My problem was that it wasn't drying the clothes all the way (the vent was free and not obstructed) He said there is a sensor in the door that the clothes fall on to and touch. if 10 cycles go by and the clothes dont touch- it stops the dryer. I believe in my case the loads were too small. Hope that helps.

Thanks I didn't know that. The whole reson I'm getting front loaders is because I'm told there more efficient and I'm trying to save as much as I can on bills and stuff.

I do not know about LG, I imagine they do all have digital controls to "appeal" to the customer but its a suckerpunch. The Bosch front load has turn dials. I guess LG has some issues with their digital controls and suds/water corroding the electrical setup, along with other seperate issues. We got to the point where we were putting in a spat of soap that was the size of a dime and still it was causing problems.

I would highly recomend the Bosch, we have many of their products in the kitchen also and they are great (my mom cooks with the chefs on tv and runs her appliances about 14 hours a day) if you want the serial/part number let me know.

edit-I also agree with ThePDB that toploads are the best choice to go with for washers.

Yea I'll look into those. The whole reson i'm going front loader Is because were gonna start getting charged by the amount of water we use and I was told they use way less then a top loader.

Thanks I didn't know that. The whole reson I'm getting front loaders is because I'm told there more efficient and I'm trying to save as much as I can on bills and stuff.

Youre on the right track, but it'll take ya 10 years to pay for it since I'm assuming you're single and no kids. But, if you have the money, go for it. I have GE front loads, and love them.

Go with samsung. I was an appliance repair tech till i made my boss lay me off. Love all of samsungs appliances. Trust me you will be happy with them.

Yea my girlfriend likes the samsungs alot it's just there's no reviews on these models since they just came out. So you didn't see much problems with the samsung front loaders?

Youre on the right track, but it'll take ya 10 years to pay for it since I'm assuming you're single and no kids. But, if you have the money, go for it. I have GE front loads, and love them.

What do you mean to pay for it like make my money back on savings?

Yea my girlfriend likes the samsungs alot it's just there's no reviews on these models since they just came out. So you didn't see much problems with the samsung front loaders?

Only problems i had to fix was from owners error. The first samsung front loads did not have a catch/clean out plug that kept stuff from getting into the pump. Found pumps that were clogged with everything from tooth picks to bra underwires. The new ones have a lil square panel in the bottom corner that has the clean out plug in it to catch debris. With this it also needs to be removed and cleaned out about once a month. If any lint or anything gets stuck on it water will stay in it and causes it to smell like toal ass. No matter what brand do not buy the stand they will try and sell you. They are only spot welded and will cause vibration and the machine will not function properly. Also with any front loader and especially samsung you have to follw the detergent guide line to a T or a lil more or less depending on if you have hard or soft water. And samsungs will not work if you only have them hooked up to cold water or if the cold water valve is shut off. There is a temp sensor in the tub and if the water gets below 60* it automaticly adds hot water to it.

Only problems i had to fix was from owners error. The first samsung front loads did not have a catch/clean out plug that kept stuff from getting into the pump. Found pumps that were clogged with everything from tooth picks to bra underwires. The new ones have a lil square panel in the bottom corner that has the clean out plug in it to catch debris. With this it also needs to be removed and cleaned out about once a month. If any lint or anything gets stuck on it water will stay in it and causes it to smell like toal ass. No matter what brand do not buy the stand they will try and sell you. They are only spot welded and will cause vibration and the machine will not function properly. Also with any front loader and especially samsung you have to follw the detergent guide line to a T or a lil more or less depending on if you have hard or soft water. And samsungs will not work if you only have them hooked up to cold water or if the cold water valve is shut off. There is a temp sensor in the tub and if the water gets below 60* it automaticly adds hot water to it.

Yea that catch can is cool. Thanks for the info so far it's looking like samsung better then lg. There's no way I would buy the stands there about 250 each that's crazy

I like sticking with Maytag and Kenmore. I also do not get things with the digital controls, to much can go wrong with them. I just bought a nice stainless steal side by side fridge and was able to get a Maytag that wasn't all digital but has the water, ice and crushed ice dispenser in the door and it's awesome!

I like sticking with Maytag and Kenmore. I also do not get things with the digital controls, to much can go wrong with them. I just bought a nice stainless steal side by side fridge and was able to get a Maytag that wasn't all digital but has the water, ice and crushed ice dispenser in the door and it's awesome!

Yea idk the digital controls are nice but ur right i bet it would be a pain to get it fixed .