Cam Advice

Hey guys, I have a 5.3 with 130,000miles on it. Im wondering if i should rebuild my motor before i cam it. The cam im looking at isnt too big. its Comp's 222/224. i heard that a cam might put stress on the lower end of the motor. This is my daily driver and i really dont want a blown motor here soon. Thanks, Shayne

There are tons of info on here about selecting a cam. Check the sticky in this section. If you get stuck then try and contact Zippy and hell put u you the right direction. Im not sure about a rebuild myself as Im sure someone will chime on it it but I would make sure your intake gaskets are good. GM is notorious in my experience with the intake gaskets leaking.

Edited by firehawknwv (see edit history)

well, i went with a 228/230 .571 .573 with some shortys, hi flow cats, and a 3200 stall. its getting tuned by eber

Thats a pretty aggressive cam for a 5.3L with stock heads. You plan on changing them? What gears are you running?

thats WAAAAAAAAYYYYY to big for a 5.3, especially with that amount of miles. the bore isnt big enough on a 5.3 to handle a cam of that mass with stock motor and heads....

shortys are also a waste of time...

do you already have the cam ordered?

i agree with art on this one, the 220r cam is much better for a 5.3 ive seen people with a 5.3 go NO BIGGER than 224/226.... ur truck is gonna lag like a mofo with that high of a duration cam

Thats a pretty aggressive cam for a 5.3L with stock heads. You plan on changing them? What gears are you running?

Art, with stock heads that flow next to nothing wouldn't that cam give the effect of a ported head. The longer duration can be used to overcome the poor flow of the head runners yet the lift doesn't seem way to big so he will still keep the air speed up at the valve? or do you think i'm full of it? and as long as the intake runner stays small and has good air speed, he might retain his low end enough for that 3200 stall.

And i think cam size vs bore size is relative to head runner size. The bore of the 5.3 doesn't affect the cam size as much as the runner size of the head on a 5.3. that cam with a 225 head will probably kill the motor, but that cam with a 205,210 maybe a 215 runner might work great.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

thats WAAAAAAAAYYYYY to big for a 5.3, especially with that amount of miles. the bore isnt big enough on a 5.3 to handle a cam of that mass with stock motor and heads....

shortys are also a waste of time...

do you already have the cam ordered?

i agree with art on this one, the 220r cam is much better for a 5.3 ive seen people with a 5.3 go NO BIGGER than 224/226.... ur truck is gonna lag like a mofo with that high of a duration cam

The cam might be big, but it doesn't seem too outrageous. And as far as lagging goes, its only bad off the line to about 30, more then likely because of the stall speed on my stock converter. I have an ACC 3200 on the way right now. But at freeway speeds, this truck takes off!! Even from a 35 roll, it pulls extremely hard. Oh, and i took y'all advice, I didn't get shorties, I went with longtubes. I will soon post a video on here so you can see what the truck can do. Shayne.