P0496

gmcsierragt

So my truck keeps throwing a P0496 code, I looked it up on alldata and all it says is PCM. I have had a slightly ruff idle, and once in a great while will stall pulling upto a stop sign. I just put new magnaflow cats on, has a new MAF, has new irradium plugs and new taylor wires, and a new pcv valve. Im stumped, has anyone else had this problem? Im wondering what it is and how to fix it

Either your Vent Solenoid Valve or Purge Solenoid Valve is stuck in the open position. You need to have a shop that has a diagnostic scan tool test the EVAP system, they will be able to determine which one is stuck.

Here is the AllData info on this DTC......

DTC P0496

SYSTEM DESCRIPTION

This DTC tests for undesired intake manifold vacuum flow to the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System. The control module seals the EVAP system by commanding the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve Closed and the EVAP canister vent solenoid valve Closed. The control module monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor to determine if a vacuum is being drawn on the EVAP system. If vacuum in the EVAP system is more than a predetermined value within a predetermined time, this DTC sets.

DTC DESCRIPTOR

This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P0496 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Flow During Non-Purge

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

•DTC P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0120, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0125, P0131, P0132, P0133, P0134, P0135, P0136, P0137, P0138, P0140, P0141, P0151, P0152, P0153, P0154, P0155, P0156, P0157, P0158, P0160, P0161, P0220, P0442, P0443, P0449, P0452, P0453, P0455, P0502, P0503, P1111, P1112, P1114, P1115, P1121, P1122, P1125, P2135 are not set.

•The ignition voltage is between 10-18 volts .

•The barometric pressure (BARO) is greater than 75 kPa .

•The fuel level is between 15-85 percent .

•The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between 4-30°C (39-86°F) .

•The intake air temperature (IAT) is between 4-30°C (39-86°F) .

•The start up ECT and IAT are within 8°C (14°F) of each other.

•DTC P0496 runs continuously once the above conditions are met.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

•A continuous open purge flow condition is detected during the diagnostic test.

•The fuel tank pressure decreases to less than a calibrated value.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

•The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.

•The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

•The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

•A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

•A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

•Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

So I should probaly have the dealer take a stab at this one? could this cure my rough idle and stalling issues?

You can have the dealer check it, but in sense any reputable repair shop should be able to diagnose it, all you need is a diagnostic scan tool like a SnapOn Modus, etc. to test the valves. When was the last time you cleaned your TB? That could be the source of your rough idle.......

Did you re-tune for the high flow cats?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I cleaned my TB and man was it dirty, hasntr stalled since, idle is as smother then I then its ever been and acceleration is quicker oh and check engine light has came back, dunno why I didnt think to clean that earlier

• 2 years later...