How Much Is This Going To Cost Me?

StockSS

Well I have been having problems with my AC in my 03SSS for a while now and have replaced the clutch assy (band-aid I know) and the destroyed tension pulley. The compressor is garbage so my only option since I don't have the proper i.e. legal tools to replace it or the other necessary parts that must be replaced with it, is to take it to a stealership.

How much do you guys think this is going to rape me for?

Im in the same boat as you. Price @ a local parts store was $395 for the comp, $1 something for the orfice and $ 75 for the dryer. Through a dealer and one of my buddies is the parts manager it was like $1025 for everything and around $700 with him giving me his discount.

Edited by Z88 SD (see edit history)

take some rags and a long phillips screwdriver. pull the cap of the high side line should be marked w/ an H. stick the phillips in there and wrap the rags around the screwdriver to stop the dye and refigerant from spraying everywhere and push the screwdriver down to release the pressure. once its all out go ahead and swap your parts and take it to the local a/c shop for a recharge. should be less than $100 for a recharge.

take some rags and a long phillips screwdriver. pull the cap of the high side line should be marked w/ an H. stick the phillips in there and wrap the rags around the screwdriver to stop the dye and refigerant from spraying everywhere and push the screwdriver down to release the pressure. once its all out go ahead and swap your parts and take it to the local a/c shop for a recharge. should be less than $100 for a recharge.

FYI, discharging your AC system into the atmosphere without the proper equipment is illegal, don't get caught!

FYI, discharging your AC system into the atmosphere without the proper equipment is illegal, don't get caught!

That was my main concern........ I really don't have 1K for this... 500 maybe.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll figure something out.

Edited by StockSS (see edit history)

Parts and labor were going to run me $800 for everything........That was the quote I was given last year from a guy here in town.....Needless to say, there is still no AC in the SS................ :nonod: ........Good thing it just sits in the garage now.............................

Parts and labor were going to run me $800 for everything........That was the quote I was given last year from a guy here in town.....Needless to say, there is still no AC in the SS................ :nonod: ........Good thing it just sits in the garage now.............................

Yeah I have been without AC for a year and a half now due to the cost of parts/labor. I wish there were a rentable evacuation system so we can do our own swaps. then take it to get recharged.

Whatever you do, do not buy a REMAN compressor :thumbsdown: . They are junk and will create more problems than you had before. If your doing it yourself make sure you flush the entire system. Any debris left in there will destroy a new compressor, it also will void any warranty :takealook: . The prices I have seen posted are the right area. Do it right and do not take short cuts it will cost more in the long run. :cheers:

Whatever you do, do not buy a REMAN compressor thumbsdown.gif . They are junk and will create more problems than you had before. If your doing it yourself make sure you flush the entire system. Any debris left in there will destroy a new compressor, it also will void any warranty takealook.gif . The prices I have seen posted are the right area. Do it right and do not take short cuts it will cost more in the long run. cheers.gif

squintnoeswerdrun.gif Best bet is to find a dealer or shop that warranties there work also. Recharging systems is not hard but you do have to be right on the money with everything if you want it to work well and last.

dam$$ if you where here in vegas i would do it much cheaper :dbanana:

Thanks, I wish man..... I just dropped her off with the staelership today. I was quoted $1K with a lifetime warranty.

My wife complains that I have no reservations about dropping $1K on my camaro but when it comes to fixing my truck I whine. Well of course I do. No man in his right mind is goign to complain about buying something he wants, but when it comes to having to pay for fixing something, look out.

Checked with another dealer today. $639 for the comp.

Yeah so I got a call this morning and was told by the dealer, he misquoted the price to me. Turns out the new compressor was $725 ($1300 total) so needless to say I went and got my truck. I just ordered a NEW freeking compressor from vatozone for only $368.99. Yeah, that's a new one..... Dryer/accumulator for $60 and an o-ring kit for $8. Firestone said they would take the R134 out so I could replace the comp myself and then they would recharge it for only $175.

I can't believe the prices the stealership wanted...... I'm going to save $689 bones now.