Smaller Rims Faster At Track?

mpflipsen05

Whats up guys, just curious if anyone has gone to the track with the factory 20" rims then went with a rim size of like 18"----Any difference in the quarter?

if weight and tire diameter are the same nothing changes. If rim weight is half, then you will gain a little. If rim weight is half and tire diameter is smaller i would say up to 3 tenths faster.

if weight and tire diameter are the same nothing changes. If rim weight is half, then you will gain a little. If rim weight is half and tire diameter is smaller i would say up to 3 tenths faster.

cool, thanks man---- I just dont know if 1000 bucks is really worth a couple of tenths

cool, thanks man---- I just dont know if 1000 bucks is really worth a couple of tenths

If i were you i'd just hit up craigslist or ebay and find some cheapos just to throw on at the track...no need to spend that kind of money

From my 99 silverado with a 5.3 it was a good comparison because I didnt have traction problems with either of the 2 setups. When I had boltons I ran a 15.70 on 20s with a 265/50/20 that weighed 75lbs and a 15.39 on stocks.

On the SSS its a 13.80 on 26" et streets and 14.5X on replica 22s with a 285/35/22. Most of that is because the 22s dont get traction and 60' is 2.3-2.4 and on the 26" et streets I am hitting 2.01 60s. I am sure the weight is helping too though. I really need to find something to run on the front of my truck at the track so I can take off the 22s up front also.

i guess i dont understand the point of using techniques just to get faster 1/4 times if they arent applicable in real life. it is the same as taking the bed off to save weight, i want to say my truck ran XX at the track, in full street trim...traction is one thing, smaller wheels is totally different. just my .02

Edited by kcsilveradoss (see edit history)

once you get to a certain point....a grand for 3 tenths is cheap....

how much of a difference "tenths" did you see when you put your centerline rims on compared to stockers? i havent been since i put mine on.

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

damn thats good to hear...

do you remember how much it dropped your 60' times if it did?

In my case my 60fts dropped 1-2 tenths, went from 2.1 to 2.2 on street tires to 2.0 on drag radials.....Went from running the 1/4th in 14.1-14.2 on street tires to 13.9 on drag radials, with the potential to go even faster since I am having some issues hooking up on launch still....

:peelout: