Smaller Rims Faster At Track?

mpflipsen05

i went through my time slip binder and my old posts and could not find my 60 foot improvement. I can pin point my headers....but i must have lost the timeslip when i got tuned for the smaller tires, so i can not say what 60 foot improvement i got......sorry man thats odd for me to not have that info.

all i could find was this post about the rims and tires

"the rims are pretty nice, the polished finish is very soft and scratches easy, but is a very high polish. I guess i would go with the chrome instead, unless they start to peal. After a little more tuning for the new tire size, i got about 3.5 tenths better at best, but consistent 2.5 tenths better. So for the price of the rims and tires, i would say great deal. For those who fear a 28.7 tall tire, the gear change is great. My combination city highway MPG went up around .5. At 75mph i'm sitting at 2500-2600. At the quarter mile i cross the lights around 5000 in 3rd."

from what i can put together this would have put me at 13.6 in the quater before headers....ahhh the good old days.

i went through my time slip binder and my old posts and could not find my 60 foot improvement. I can pin point my headers....but i must have lost the timeslip when i got tuned for the smaller tires, so i can not say what 60 foot improvement i got......sorry man thats odd for me to not have that info.

all i could find was this post about the rims and tires

"the rims are pretty nice, the polished finish is very soft and scratches easy, but is a very high polish. I guess i would go with the chrome instead, unless they start to peal. After a little more tuning for the new tire size, i got about 3.5 tenths better at best, but consistent 2.5 tenths better. So for the price of the rims and tires, i would say great deal. For those who fear a 28.7 tall tire, the gear change is great. My combination city highway MPG went up around .5. At 75mph i'm sitting at 2500-2600. At the quarter mile i cross the lights around 5000 in 3rd."

from what i can put together this would have put me at 13.6 in the quater before headers....ahhh the good old days.

man i em disappointed you didnt keep record of that shakehead.gif ... lol just kiddin' im impressed that you keep all of your time slips in a folder all organized lol... ohh well i was just wondering if the time change came from out of the hole or at speed is all. im guessing out of the hole is where the majority came frompeelout.gif

by the way what did the headers give you out of curiosity ?

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

man i em disappointed you didnt keep record of that shakehead.gif ... lol just kiddin' im impressed that you keep all of your time slips in a folder all organized lol... ohh well i was just wondering if the time change came from out of the hole or at speed is all. im guessing out of the hole is where the majority came frompeelout.gif

by the way what did the headers give you out of curiosity ?

i went through my timeslips better and found this:

before all: 13.895

rims and tires but not tuned fot them: 13.766

rims and tires and new tune: 13.639 (i must still be missing the fastest timeslip off that combo

rims, tires, tune for tires and new headers: 13.356

so headers took off .337 about, but bare in mind i had heads and cam at this point so it was plugged up pretty bad by the stock manifolds.

then from there it was head gasket, yella terra rockers, cts-vr lifters, comp push rods, more zippy tuning, and a 4000 stall to put me down to 12.82

however if i remember right it was not the 60 foot that gave me the improvement with the rims and tires, it was the fact that i went from crossing the finish line around 5000 rpm to around 5800 rpm. The smaller tire gave me the gear ratio that my cam wanted to stay in it's power band.

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

it makes a big difference.

my wifes trailblazer ss ran 13.3@104 STOCK only mods was mt drag rads 275 40 17 and 215 50 17 front runners.

http://www.youtube.com/blowntbss#p/u/1/w6Guwytk1uk

then added a yank ptb3600 stall/flt trans and NO OTHER MODS STILL STOCK TUNE 12.7@104

Since the 12.7 run added intake/tune/ls1 fans/and a 50 shot 11.9@112 but on a 295 45 17

http://www.youtube.com/blowntbss#p/u/0/J1TVotMBEHI

riceeater lost .4 by using smaller wheels. and it was a crappy hot day and he was the only one to go faster.

true story...il drop .4 from takin my 22s of and puttin on some 16s with some bs 225 60 16 tires...truck 60s 1.67ish..

the 22s are about 32in tall... and the 16s are about 25in tall... so im really curious to see if both are a gain..i know the big gain is from the wait loss... and i have a feelin the drop in tire size has to chance the gear ratio and help to get the truck out of the hole.. and help keep pullin on top end trucks run a best of 12.300 at 111mph