E85 Conversion

Looking for a little info on the conversion-- will 60lb injectors, 255 walboro, and a good tune do the trick? or is there a lot more involved. I have E85 available in my area. My set up right now is a D1 Procharger,42lb injectors, and full exhaust. Any help would be much apreciated! Thanks

• 1 month later...

i was told by my local e85 / e98 dealer that we dont need a computer controller for our trucks all we got to do is make the necessary fuel and tunning changes in our stock computers that we dont need one of those box thingys

You don't really need anything special. It would be great to have an 05 and up flex fuel setup but if you have a properly sized pump and injectors to match then you are set to roll with proper tuning. I have my truck running on E85 right now as well as another member here in town/customer.

He is running ported 5.3 heads milled with 6.0 valves a fairly decent cam, Belanger long tubes Corsa cat back and ls3 injectors. He made just about 80 more rwhp on a dyno over totally bone stock with that setup on E85. His mileage has actually gotten better and it's 2.29 a gallon.

My truck I have run either way I need the e85 for compression because I am almost 12:1. If I was still boosted I would be running E85 also because of the gains and cooler fuel makes for a happy blower.

Just remember if you do take the E85 swap you need to size your fuel system to run at 30% more than you are needed due to the fact that E85 burns roughly 30% faster than regular fuel. Hence your stock fuel injectors on a stock lq9 will run out of steam at about 4500 rpm if you chose to run e85. And yes when it comes to tuning the spark tables need to be massaged properly to get the most out of driveabilty as well as make the most power.

Hope that helps

You don't really need anything special. It would be great to have an 05 and up flex fuel setup but if you have a properly sized pump and injectors to match then you are set to roll with proper tuning. I have my truck running on E85 right now as well as another member here in town/customer.

He is running ported 5.3 heads milled with 6.0 valves a fairly decent cam, Belanger long tubes Corsa cat back and ls3 injectors. He made just about 80 more rwhp on a dyno over totally bone stock with that setup on E85. His mileage has actually gotten better and it's 2.29 a gallon.

My truck I have run either way I need the e85 for compression because I am almost 12:1. If I was still boosted I would be running E85 also because of the gains and cooler fuel makes for a happy blower.

Just remember if you do take the E85 swap you need to size your fuel system to run at 30% more than you are needed due to the fact that E85 burns roughly 30% faster than regular fuel. Hence your stock fuel injectors on a stock lq9 will run out of steam at about 4500 rpm if you chose to run e85. And yes when it comes to tuning the spark tables need to be massaged properly to get the most out of driveabilty as well as make the most power.

Hope that helps

i have 60# injectors with a walbro 255 intank , do you think that will be enough to run e85 with my set up? and what do you think my hp gains will be switching to e85

i have 60# injectors with a walbro 255 intank , do you think that will be enough to run e85 with my set up? and what do you think my hp gains will be switching to e85

Whats your current boost level?

And are you tuning yourself do you have any logs in boost with your current file?

And are you tuning yourself do you have any logs in boost with your current file?

my boost levels have been weird latly... in first ill see 6-7 lbs right b4 it shifts and second and up ill see 8-9 lbs right b4 it shifts.

im getting my hd tensioner installed this next week and we will be going out to log it after that. i have a local guy here tuning it and i just dont think im getting everything out of it i could be but idk dunno.gif . ill be posting logs up soon for any body willing to take a look at them.

my boost levels have been weird latly... in first ill see 6-7 lbs right b4 it shifts and second and up ill see 8-9 lbs right b4 it shifts.

im getting my hd tensioner installed this next week and we will be going out to log it after that. i have a local guy here tuning it and i just dont think im getting everything out of it i could be but idk dunno.gif . ill be posting logs up soon for any body willing to take a look at them.

Sounds good I will keep an eye for your stuff