Ball Joints

cm2677

Hi All,

I need to replace the ball joints on my truck. I have done them before on an impala-its not hard but time consuming. What I am wondering is the ball joints on the upper control arm, is it better to replace the ball joint and bushings for the esentrics for wheel alignment or just replace to whole upper control arm?????

It's a 2003 silverado 2wd with 166k on it. Current boots are split and do not hold greese anymore.

Edited by cm2677 (see edit history)

Hi All,

I need to replace the ball joints on my truck. I have done them before on an impala-its not hard but time consuming. What I am wondering is the ball joints on the upper control arm, is it better to replace the ball joint and bushings for the esentrics for wheel alignment or just replace to whole upper control arm?????

It's a 2003 silverado 2wd with 166k on it. Current boots are split and do not hold greese anymore.

id say just do the ball joint. its cheaper. if you have the $$$$ go for the new upper but you prob dont need it. imo

yah just do upper ball joints.

now if you want to lower it djm has new upper and lower a arms which include new balljoints and will lower the truck 3 inches over stock and ride great............ just had to put that out there lol :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry but I need to whore out your thread. I've changed spindles so I can turn a wrench but wouldn't say I know what I'm doing by any means. Is this a fairly easy DIY? If so, is there a how-to somewhere or can anyone walk me thru it? Stay with factory parts or aftermarket and are there any other related repairs I should consider while in the area ? Sorry CM2677. Hope I'm not steppin in too much.

Sorry but I need to whore out your thread. I've changed spindles so I can turn a wrench but wouldn't say I know what I'm doing by any means. Is this a fairly easy DIY? If so, is there a how-to somewhere or can anyone walk me thru it? Stay with factory parts or aftermarket and are there any other related repairs I should consider while in the area ? Sorry CM2677. Hope I'm not steppin in too much.

wonderin the same thing my mechanic said that u have to service te whole a arm not really sure on this but i cant stand the creeking and poping everytime i go over a bump

Here's an update i got today. One place told me they can replace just the ball joints but you need a press to do it. An actual dealership in a close-by small town will replace w/ moog ball joints....just the ball joints. Labor and parts around $320. A local in-town asshat GM certified shop at a car stealership says you can only replace the arms. Total cost over $700. When i pressed them on the matter, he said, "well i guess GM is saying you can't just replace the ball joints." Bottom line, find a shop that will do just ball joints. I get so sick of dealership shops not telling the whole story, but then again, i'm sure its because i just don't understand. :jerk:

yea thats what my guy said.....gm says u have to service the whole arm......LAME!!

he also said that the rack on my rack n pinion is goin out and im leakin power steering fluid but i have no spots under my truck ever

Edited by bruiser04 (see edit history)

Wish i would've talked to you first Ben. Anyway, got it done. Probably wouldn't have found time to do it anytime soon anyway. But, what a difference it made. Feel like i have a new front end under it.

how much and did they only replace the ball joints?