80E Question

i found an 80E for a good price and im waiting to put my blower on due to funds and tranny rebuild. my ques. is do i need to build the 80e up or will it hold up to the power of the blower stock? thanks in advance

Whats wrong with your trans? The 80e has a lazy first gear and is heavier that the 60/65. It also eats up more power. You should just get a 65e built. I dont think you should have a problem with it as long as it is build correctly with your soon to be blown 5.3L. Good luck!

Edited by WICKEDOWESIX (see edit history)

thanks, i talked to a tranny guy today and he said "why not go with an 80e" and i just dont know enough about this stuff yet... i found one for a pretty good price, im just lookin to save as much as i can on the tranny build the best quote i got is $3000 with a year warranty i just dont have those funds right now and i am just sittin here lookin at this blower just wishinfingersx.gif......with the cost of my recent move and the blower i just dont see myself bein able to install for a long timenonod.gif

thanks, i talked to a tranny guy today and he said "why not go with an 80e" and i just dont know enough about this stuff yet... i found one for a pretty good price, im just lookin to save as much as i can on the tranny build the best quote i got is $3000 with a year warranty i just dont have those funds right now and i am just sittin here lookin at this blower just wishinfingersx.gif......with the cost of my recent move and the blower i just dont see myself bein able to install for a long timenonod.gif

Yeah you do not need a 80e. There are many fast trucks running built 65e transmissions. Also I can get your trans built for cheaper than $3K ......Just food for thought.

yea what r we talkin.... i also dont wanna skimp on anything since this is my dd and i do drive alot, and do they offer any kind of warranty

He will warranty his work, meaning if something happens he wont charge you labor if a part fails but you have to cover the parts cost. This is the same guy who built my trans (bolt ons), chpspecials trans (turbocharged), blackbeast ss (supercharged), blkssncpt (bolt ons) who are members on here.

I agree that a built 60/65 will save alot of heart ache as long as your not putting alot of power down beyond maybe a radix (480-500 fwhp range) beyond that I would suggest an 80E for the simple fact it should be the last tranny you install. Granted a stock 80E would probably not be enough for more than 550 fwhp either so you'd want to have a mildly built 80E if you have plans to run more hp that the 550 range. I am in the process of doin an 80E conversion and right now all I have is a Radix (about the 500-510 fwhp range with my custom tuning). I am now going on my 4th tranny and it's gonna be a mildly built 80E. There is alot work involved and would be tough for a beginner. so my opinion is, if your planning to only do a SC to about 500 fwhp, you should be good with a highly built 60/65E, if your looking to go more...do the 80E conversion.

This is just my opinion

Cody

Just do the 80e! less headaches! If I could go back and do it all again I would have done it before my first procharger and not have blown 3 4l65's apart,and I had my tranny built before the blower install. i have heard that an 4l80e is good for 600hp at the wheels with only a shift kit and I have seen some who have run in the 9's (rcsb) with one set up the same. My FULLY built 4l65 wouldn't hold 600whp for more than 1000 miles.The cost will end up about the same for the swap or a built 4l65,all the guys I know with 4l80' have no regrets,I can't say the same for all the guys know who had level 3,4,5,7 4l60's!!!!

He will warranty his work, meaning if something happens he wont charge you labor if a part fails but you have to cover the parts cost. This is the same guy who built my trans (bolt ons), chpspecials trans (turbocharged), blackbeast ss (supercharged), blkssncpt (bolt ons) who are members on here.

where is his shop located and how much u think he would do it for

this is also the trans 56chevywagon had in his before going with an 80e,not knocking it or it'sbuilder,just food for thought.a 65e is only so strong (not very!)

this is also the trans 56chevywagon had in his before going with an 80e,not knocking it or it'sbuilder,just food for thought.a 65e is only so strong (not very!)

Negative on that, my brother didn't build his trans. If you look at his sig, he has a Danny trans, and before that I believe he had a Toyshop built trans, but I am not 100% on that.

Your correct, mine was a Danny built but it was only stock before that.These 65's have weak bands (anchors), very weak input shafts (Twisted mine off passing from 45mph) and aluminum drums (break or strip out), most everything else in them should hold up but the three strike rule applies to me. I broke my first tranny with only a tune (broke the band - replaced with stock), second broke band and cracked drum with my radix and tune (replaced with a Danny Built), Danny Built twisted off input shaft while passing from 45mph and now I rebuilt the Danny Built myself and now lost 3rd and 4th gears (Probably just solenoids). I want to be done with changing out tranny's, if this was a race truck, I'd understand, but this is my everyday driver and I also want to have some fun with it so I decided to just go 80E and end all be all (hopefully). I'm also looking at a cam swap in the near future and if the 65E's aren't holding up to just a radix and tune, it definately ain't gonna hold up to a cam added into the power ratio... Just my .02/.04 cents... :)

Edited by 56chevywagon (see edit history)

Negative on that, my brother didn't build his trans. If you look at his sig, he has a Danny trans, and before that I believe he had a Toyshop built trans, but I am not 100% on that.

Sorry,I thougt they were one in the same,like I said not bashing,I just have no faith in the 65e anymore.