Long Time Car Nut Looking For Silverado Ss Info

Greetings all, forum veteran from Michigan but new to SilveradoSS.com pepsicheer.gif

I've long been a performance car enthusiast, having owned everything from hot hatches, sport sedans, and the occasional rustang/camaro. I'm now looking into a Silverado SS--I love the look of the truck and having an extended cab makes this more desirable to me than a Lightning. I think the Dodge SRT trucks are hideous, so I'm already pretty much sold on the SS.

My main question is, what years are best? I didn't realize until recently that 2006 was two-wheel drive--that kind of appeals to me over all wheel drive from a performance standpoint. Are the 2wd models any quicker than the all-wheel drive models? Off road or bad weather driving doesn't concern me, but I want to make sure I get the right truck, you know? I tried some searches, but couldn't readily find any 2wd versus awd comparisons.

Anyway, thanks for any input. I'm pretty excited about getting my first performance truck peelout.gif

Edited by supertruckin (see edit history)

Welcome to the site! Just about any year is good, 2003-2004 are all wheel drive, 2005 was either 2wd or AWD, and as you said 2006 is only 2wd. Pick whichever one suites you best I guess....

Fuel system was inproved in 2004, brake system in 2005, also in 2005 Silver Birch replaced Arrival Blue, also, in the later years, the SS wasn't quite as loaded.

The AWD gets off the line quicker, traditional for any AWD, however once up at speed, the RWD is more responsive.