Ss Killing Batteries All The Sudden...

crawlinss

ive had the same redtop optima in the truck for like 4 years, never had an issue. came out the other day, truck was stone dead. so i jump start it, it charges fine, go to autozone, grab a durlast (their warranty is better than optima, and 1/3 the price, figured i'd try it out). everything was fine for 5 days or so, i drove it home friday about 3.30, then it sat until 6.30 sunday morning, dead again. jumped it, checked charging, the charging meter on the dash is jumping a little more than i'd like to see, my amp clamp says charging @ 80 amps, and leaving a meter on the truck, it took about 3 hours to drop from 12.3 to 1.5v. thats a huge draw, what should i check? i disconnected the positive lead and put my meter in line with the battery to positive lead, and it should very very minor amp draw. im stumped on this one.

i had the same problem, check any of your extra electronics if any. my problem was that stock radio was drawing power after the key was off, ive also heard the cluster's messing up and taking charger also, power draw is such a pita.

It's time for a draw test, leave your AmMeter on there and start pullling fuses to see what eliminates the draw, then you have isolated the problem.....

ok, i just got done with this, and it was/wasnt helpful. its drawing .7x amps, but it will fluctuate up to 8-9 amps every few seconds, and drop back down to .7. i pulled the 50a fuse for the mid electrical buss, and the amp draw drops down to .12 and stays there. i dont know with all the electronic systems, if .12 is acceptable, but ive never had an issue before. consulting my wiring diagram wasnt much help, theres so many things in that circuit i dont know where to look from there.

there was a issue of dead battery's on GM trucks going back to 02. what was found most times it was the BCM. for some reason it would not shut down properly some times and cause a battery drain. the fix was to have the BCM re flashed ...

also check your alt. for bad diodes. if there bad, it will cause a drain also..

hope this helps..

:seeya:

there was a issue of dead battery's on GM trucks going back to 02. what was found most times it was the BCM. for some reason it would not shut down properly some times and cause a battery drain. the fix was to have the BCM re flashed ...

also check your alt. for bad diodes. if there bad, it will cause a drain also..

hope this helps..

:seeya:

I believe there was a tsb about this for our trucks. You could take it to the dealer and they should reflash your bcm for free. If that doesnt solve the problem, it may be the ignition switch not fully closing, or even in a few cases the power seats continue drawing power and will drain the battery. I had this issue a few weks ago and found out I had a bad battery after unplugging the seats and checking everything. I know you just got a new battery, but put a load tester on it and check it out. I went through 3 red tops in 2 days because the new one was also bad. If the battery checks out, keep going through all the things I and the other guys are telling you to locate the problem. Good luck fixing it man.

• 1 year later...

Hey, did you fix this or not?

yes and no. i had bad contact inside of the positive terminal on the battery, so the problem went away, i just didnt diagnose properly. skipped one of the most basic steps and it stung me in the ass. havent had a problem since though, and have a good optima on the battery tender now lol.