Going From Ported To Not Ported Gonna Ba A Prob?

I've got this big ass Kicker box w/ 2 12" CVR's and an Audiobahn Amp. Sounds very good. I want my truck put back together tho and ordered a box that's gonna fit under the seat (folded down). It'll take the 2 12's but it's not ported. I don't remember the volume of the enclosure.

Ok, did some reading on some site for audiophiles... seems as if it'll be ok, it'll hit harder (for "homie" music) and I may need to use some poly fill to cushion the movement??? (icon_bs.gif )

Sealed or ported it's the box volume that makes a sub sound proper. There isn't alot of room under the back seat, so most boxes are on the small side.

The poly is used to increase the box volume(say 10-15%) and 'cheat' the box. Bigger is almost always better...smaller is bad.

So depending on the box volume and driver requirements, you might need it...might not, but usually doesn't hurt.

Hope that helps.

Sealed or ported it's the box volume that makes a sub sound proper. There isn't alot of room under the back seat, so most boxes are on the small side.

The poly is used to increase the box volume(say 10-15%) and 'cheat' the box. Bigger is almost always better...smaller is bad.

So depending on the box volume and driver requirements, you might need it...might not, but usually doesn't hurt.

Hope that helps.

Yes that was a big help and thanks. I'll see if I can get that info from the site and post it up. But can't I get away with a smaller box if it's sealed? dunno.gif

Yes that was a big help and thanks. I'll see if I can get that info from the site and post it up. But can't I get away with a smaller box if it's sealed? dunno.gif

Only to a certain point, sealed is pretty forgiving but sometimes a too small of a box will really sound like poo.

Stuff the box with dacron, load the subs and give them a listen.

You can always keep the subs and get a custom box built if you don't like the sound. I've never seen a pre-fab box that has as much volume as a properly built custom box.

And two 12's in a downfiring box should hammer pretty hard.

Only to a certain point, sealed is pretty forgiving but sometimes a too small of a box will really sound like poo.

Stuff the box with dacron, load the subs and give them a listen.

You can always keep the subs and get a custom box built if you don't like the sound. I've never seen a pre-fab box that has as much volume as a properly built custom box.

And two 12's in a downfiring box should hammer pretty hard.

squintnoeswerdrun.gif What's dacron? The poly fill? What about putting in some ports if the sound isn't what I expected too?

squintnoeswerdrun.gif What's dacron? The poly fill? What about putting in some ports if the sound isn't what I expected too?

Ya dacron is poly fill, pillow stuffing. Get it at wallymart or wherever.

Ported boxes have to be tuned to certain frequency, they need exact volume and port size, if not it can sound like farting in a jar.

If it doesn't sound right, change box, subs, or both.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya dacron is poly fill, pillow stuffing. Get it at wallymart or wherever.

Ported boxes have to be tuned to certain frequency, they need exact volume and port size, if not it can sound like farting in a jar.

If it doesn't sound right, change box, subs, or both.

wELL GOT HER IN AND JUST WIRED IT THE SAME AS IT WAS IN THE OTHER BOX... IT DOESN'T SOUND AS GOOD, BUT IT'S OK. nOW i WANT TO TRY AND PORT IT, BUT WHERE AND HOW BIG FOR EACH SIDE IS THE QUESTION. Damn caps lock, sorry.

I'm not changing boxes or speakers, so more input please.

Well I calld the place I got the box from and I guess I just need to set my amp for the sealed box is all. Maybe I'll pack in more poly fill too and be done with it.fingersx.gif

Ya... good advice from those guys. Now where's that sealed/ported switch...?

Sorry, I don't mean to be a d_ck, maybe they're right.

Basic setting of an amp is easy, since they sold you that box, ask them if they'll tune your amp to 'sealed' for you for free.

The absolute best thing that you can do is find someone with good knowledge, who is willing to have a look and give you honest advice.

Hope that helps.

chances are each chamber are a lot smaller than what you need. I believe the CVR's need a min of 1cuft per side and I can tell you its not as easy as one thinks to pull out that much room under the seat. I just built a box because the subthump box I have is way to small for my diamond audio D3's. Most prefab boxes spec out the same and are around .8cuft if that. The box i just built is wider, longer and higher than the subthump box and right now I am at 2.2cuft. If i were to to change the box up by placing the top piece of MDF within the sides of the box and screwing it in my overall box volume would drop down to 1.83cuft and thats by just changing the height 3/4 of an inch. Take some inside measurements of the box and post them up and we can tell you where you sit with space per chamber. I bet you are running to small and because of that your subs are prob a little more poppy sounding and don't get low and constant. The place that sold you the box is basically telling you to crank the gains up to compensate for the smaller airspace. Less airspace needs more power, more airspace needs less.

Another option is ditch one sub and knock out the divider in the box and seal up the other side and put an aero port in there. That would get your one twelve bumping a lot harder than trying to get the two to work together in that box.

Do not try to port that box as it sits, it will just make things worse.

This is what I've got...pepsicheer.gif Note that I opted for the extra depth.Thanks so far!

CHEVY GMC 1999-2006 Extended Cab Dual box

1999-2006 & 07 CLASSIC SILVERADO EXTENDED CAB CUSTOM SUBWOOFER ENCLOSURE- GMEC99 DUAL

<P style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNoSpacing align=center>Superior Craftsmanship

wow, that didn't work

• This is the whole box, we do sell this box in pairs too, which is on the website
  • fits two 8 inch, two 10 inch or two 12 inch subwoofers
  • Air Space = 1 cu ft per chamber
  • Mounting Depth for dual 12= 6.75 inches
  • Mounting depth for dual 10 = 7 inches
  • fits under rear seat
  • hole cutout for 8" sub = 7"
  • hole cutout for 10" sub = 9 1/8"
  • hole cutout for 12" sub = 11"
  • charcoal grey carpet
  • available in oem colors to match your interior for an extra $15
  • speaker terminals included

I'll try this? And it's 5/8" deeper