One B I G Detail

Chase and I have been trying to work out a day to get his truck by my place for a full treatment, but weather has been wreaking havoc.

As you'll see in the pictures, this isn't exactly the kind of truck you pull into the garage to work on...

unless your garage is an airplane hanger!! :D

I gotta talk to the guy, he brings me some of the more challenging details and this one isn't in bad shape... its just HUGE!!

Rather than fight the heat we decided to break it up into a 2 day ordeal... today was day one.

My best friend Anthony came over to assist and thankfully so.

Got underway around 5pm, the subject a custom bulletproof suspension equipped Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ:

e9e6f504.jpg

80382396.jpg

The interior was in excellent shape so I decided not to shoot any pics, a quick scrub down with Leather & Interior Cleaner and an Interior Brush broke up what little dirt there was on the light tan interior, all surfaces were treated to a dose of Leather & Interior Conditioner including the door seals. A quick vacuum with the Metrovac and the inside looked factory fresh.

Carpets were spot cleaned with Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner and a carpet brush. HD rubber mats were pulled and hand scrubbed with a 50/50 APC mixture.

Exterior started with the wheels and tires... not only the dirtiest part of the truck, but they rival the paint for sheer surface area, due to the size of the job the pressure washer was going to be a necessity:

The wheels, tires, and fenders were blasted out with a wide fan angle spray at 1800psi to break up all the junk... a 50/50 mixture of APC and the fender brush tackled the tires while the Boars Hair Brush and Green Wheel Cleaner made short work of the wheels.

210e72e4.jpg

f1255320.jpg

f8afe44d.jpg

Next came my time to shine... being the 'tall guy' I was nominated to handle the pre-rinse. The truck was overall in excellent shape, but there were some obvious areas of neglect simply by virtue of the fact you can't reach the center of the hood without something to stand on. Continued with the pressure washer as it made soaking the outside and reaching everywhere easier. Also got under the truck and blasted the underside completely.

7aa2c189.jpg

bf7a7f08.jpg

82ccadd7.jpg

After pre-rinse we moved onto foaming... no... there are no shots of the new foam gun... just its capabilities. This was generated using 3oz of Adams Car Wash Shampoo to 29oz of water.

ebeaa1f6.jpg

af814e1f.jpg

After washing we broke for dinner then returned outside to clay bar using detail spray as lube, under the warm glow of the halogen lights.

7d11b2df.jpg

6871c73c.jpg

After claying we did a secondary wash and quick dry in the dark.

Plans tomorrow include:

6am start time

Refoam and wash

Dry w/ WW drying agent

Inspect rims and suspension, clay as needed.

2 stage polish the paint

Machine polish chrome trim

Metal polish suspension components

Metal polish wheel hoops

(2) coats of Americana via ice water application

MSW on wheels and suspension

Glass Sealant for all windows

BSG top off for all bright work

Lots of Undercarriage Spray and Super VRT (Lots and lots and lots)

Drink beer. :cheers:

If it weren't on the "homeboy hookup" program... a truck this size and the work I'm gonna put in... somewhere around $400-$500 but Chase and I usually work out something on trade out. He was a huge help when I dropped the TBSS so I'll probably lean on him for the Avy drop as well.

If it weren't on the "homeboy hookup" program... a truck this size and the work I'm gonna put in... somewhere around $400-$500 but Chase and I usually work out something on trade out. He was a huge help when I dropped the TBSS so I'll probably lean on him for the Avy drop as well.

what about a 1500 vMAX crew cab baby bed, with 2.5in level lift kit? fingersx.gif

what about a 1500 vMAX crew cab baby bed, with 2.5in level lift kit? fingersx.gif

one-hundred-million dollars!! J/K... it depends on the condition its in and what all you want done.

Day 2 - the saga continues :D

Got a little bit of a late start... 6am comes a tad early when you're up late the night before. I had to give myself a stern talking to about the importance of punctuality.

df066882.jpg

I then documented all the areas we were really trying to focus on, the suspension was one area that was a big eye sore, as were the scrape marks on the bedsides from where the previous owner had obviously had a drop in bedliner.

b88dac77.jpg

dc48fb04.jpg

6f51ef57.jpg

The paint had not gotten overly dusty overnight so we opted to skip the rewash and instead did a complete wipe down with waterless wash and a couple of drying towels.

I started out with the PC and 4" focus pad setup to attack the areas that would need more specific attention. I worked my way around the truck buffing out the deeper scuff marks and imperfections.

5fb2b0fb.jpg

9eab5a00.jpg

b074cc3f.jpg

Look, no more bedliner scuffs!!

d451b1a6.jpg

Anthony concentrated his efforts on polishing the wheels, suspension, and dressing the undercarriage. One good thing about detailing a truck this big is the fact that its rather easy to work on the underside. Metal polish was used to restore the suspension, then topped off with Brilliant Spray Glaze. The finder lining as well as all the exposed frame areas and black suspension parts were treated with Invisible Undercarriage Spray.

cd49d49c.jpg

3af9864a.jpg

07cecb14.jpg

Once the rolling stock was complete the trim was dressed, including Super VRT on any plastic or rubber and In & Out Spray to get the cowl and other hard to reach areas. Next we got set to divide and conquer! Splitting the truck down the middle, we each grabbed a bottle of Swirl & Haze Remover, Fine Machine Polish, an assortment of pads, and went to town. For the mostpart the truck was in good shape and needed minimum coaxing to get back to near perfect.

10dd2b4e.jpg

After polishing was complete the truck was given a wipe down with distilled ice water, one panel at a time. The temp had risen and I was worried that Americana would have a difficult time curing. I worked methodically, cooling the panel first, wiping dry with a fresh waterless wash towel, then applying a thin coat of Americana. I proceeded this way around the entire truck - cool, apply, remove. Once the whole truck was treated I made a second pass again starting with an ice water treatment to keep the panel cool and manageable.

cc780c4a.jpg

703870f5.jpg

While moving the truck back in the driveway earlier I had spotted some light scuffs and haze no the faux wood dash paneling. I taped off the edge nearest the navi screen where the scrapes were closest too and buffed out using the flip pad and Revive Polish. I ended up polishing out the rest of the faux wood panels and treating them to a coat of Americana.

946d97f8.jpg

0ae16e30.jpg

More coming

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

While I focused my attention on the interior Anthony was hard at work buffing out the remaining suspension parts, doing a hand application of Machine Superwax to the wheels, then finishing everything off with a coat of Brilliant Spray Glaze.

b93f6211.jpg

9acff77c.jpg

954e6b08.jpg

Even managed to buff out the trailer hitch

bd452083.jpg

Windows were cleaned up with Glass Cleaner and a Glass towel, final inspection, then we cleaned up, and took some pics of this badboy:

89f4a808.jpg

4099291e.jpg

Not easy getting a reflection in this color, but we managed

e93e07b0.jpg

d23d59f2.jpg

2bc684d2.jpg

f64fad9c.jpg

e88fd0bc.jpg

a994f399.jpg

3892f636.jpg

Rolling shots were taken after taking it back to Chase... 75mph down the 60 westbound really got some attention... I'll be posting those shots at full res. later.

• 3 weeks later...