Polished Brake Calipers

2bfast

I know theres been a good handfull PM me about my polished calipers and for more pictures of them. Had to take my wheels off on the rear for maintenance reasons so I figured I would snap a few finally. Here ya go

DSC02706.jpg

DSC02707.jpg

DSC02708.jpg

DSC02709.jpg

Those look really nice! I would like to see a how to on this if you ever get time, I think it would be a good sticky...pimp.gif

Having an F-Body backround, I got the idea off of LS1tech. Ya'll think im crazy, some of them boys make me look bad.

Basically its like this:

Grind off the high/rough spots with 200 grit. Then the process begins. Start wet sanding with 400 grit all the way to 2000 grit. After 2000, take a buffing wheel with Mothers Billet polish and watch it shine.

I obviously dont drive my truck in the winter months or weather period so this was a winter project about 2 years ago along with a few other pieces on the truck. This obviously isnt something you would do if you drive your truck daily as maintantence would be killer.

Having an F-Body backround, I got the idea off of LS1tech. Ya'll think im crazy, some of them boys make me look bad.

Basically its like this:

Grind off the high/rough spots with 200 grit. Then the process begins. Start wet sanding with 400 grit all the way to 2000 grit. After 2000, take a buffing wheel with Mothers Billet polish and watch it shine.

I obviously dont drive my truck in the winter months or weather period so this was a winter project about 2 years ago along with a few other pieces on the truck. This obviously isnt something you would do if you drive your truck daily as maintantence would be killer.

I think it would work if it was clearcoated...

WoW! My first thought way your crazy. Then you said it yourself.

They look sweet!

There are other easier ways to polish them, but no "easy" way. There is a grinding/polishing compound called greaseless comound. Put it on a buffing wheel and it acts like a sander but can conform to the shape better and leaves fewer sanding marks. It comes in grits up to 3000 I believe. Then after all the sanding is done hit it with some buffing - polishing compound rouge and it looks like chrome.

I have done wheels, Harley engines, sportbike frames, valve covers etc like this and it takes 25% of the time to do and looks 100% better than the by hand way.

BTW there are some good clear powdercoat brands out there that will not yellow and will hold up to the heat.