Pacesetter Owners

alex.t

well guys im working out a cam package right now, which means i need some long tubes, i can get a good price on coated pacesetters, how do you guys like em, and how was the fitment? do they bolt right up?

The only way to get Pace Setters to bolt right up on an SS is to do what Brobrad did. He bought an aftermarket exhaust for a 5.3L extended cab silverado because the 5.3L has one inlet into the muffler system, not two like the SS. Pace Setter makes an off road pipe (eliminates the cats too, FYI) that will allow you to connect from the collectors to the factory exhaust location on a 5.3L system only. They never made an off road pipe for the 6.0L dual inlet stock system to my knowledge. The Pace setters make great power in my opinion. I liked the collector design and I really liked the price. As far as holding up, I had 70k+ miles on a coated set on my truck before selling it and they were just starting to show rust. They won't last forever, but they will endure Michigan winters, thats for sure. And my truck made great power with them. Running a 13.1 with my mods, I was very happy with the performance. If you choose not to swap the exhaust and run Pace Setters off road pipe, you will have to have custom piping made to connect them to the exhaust, and while not impossible, it will take a very good exhaust bender to fit cats in there if you want to keep cats. The factory cats will pretty much not work from my experience. You would be defeating the purpose of the headers unless you get high flow cats that are sized to the collectors.

If you are budget minded and need something that bolts right up, I suggest getting the OBX long tubes from ebaymotors. They are of great quality and stainless steel. Several members have had great success with them and you get everything you need for just over $500. I ordered a set myself to replace my pace setters, but finances at the time dictated that I sell the set instead of installing them. I can vouch that they are a high quality item having seen them in person myself, however, I did not install them. They are the old dynatech design, which had a couple of minor headaches, but nothing that cant be overcome, especially for the price.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

Those are it, i would go that route but honestly that funky bend on the driver side header kills it for me. It would bother me everytime i pop the hood thats for sure.

I'm doing the same thats mentioned above, pacesetter headers whit the off-road Y pipe and having 3" piping after that.

gets exspensive for us canadians ended up being 620 bucks canadian after it was all said and done, now its time to drop some change for the boys down at texas speed for the cam setup, after this im done modding the truck biggrinjester.gif hopefully im in the 13's now hahah

Im confused, you say you want Pacesetters but you have a link to OBX's??

Pacesetters have bigger collectors compared to the OBX 2.5". I have OBX and had them coated. I can say I give them a thumbs up as they bolted right in with no problems. For the price you cant beat them. But if your making some good power, I would go with Pacesetter as they have a bigger collector for exhaust flow. This winter I am switching to Pacesetters for that reason with their ORY then going single 3" on back

Heres a pic right after I had them coated

DSC02130.jpg

Edited by 2BFAST (see edit history)

ya i was just seeing how the guys like pacesetter and black2003ss pretty much answered wat i wanted to know so i went with obx, as far as the cam goes im going with comps 222/224, 566/568 112 lsa , heard pretty good things about this cam in our trucks so figured thats what i wanted to go with.

I have Pacesetters on my truck and they are great. They bolt up great and if you not going to run cats (like me) they will connect to the factory exhaust easy. I my cats off right behind were they are welded on the pipe (rear of cat). I bought the Flowmaster ball flange kit from Summit Racing. The kit is a 3' to 2.5' kit. The 3' slides right in to the header and the 2.5' slides on to the stock exhuast. After they were slid on I bolted the ball flanges togetther and weld the other ends to the headers and exhuast it worked better than I thought. I have pics somewhere and I now I posted them on here when did it about 5yrs ago :thumbs: