Any Ideas On A Throttle Body Setup?

therealtom88

Im just now starting to tinker with this truck. I have little knowledge concerning these motors. Wondering what a good and affordable throttle body would do. Had a buddy tell me to rebuild a ls1 setup would that be a good idea? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I wouldnt really see an LS1 throttle body doing anything and say its a throttle body off an LS1 out of a trans am or camaro or firebird itd be alot of work because its a drive by cable throttle body where as your stock SS throttle body is drive by wire. Also what other mods do you have? The stock throttle bodys on these trucks are a decent size and I think it would be pretty much pointless to put a bigger throttle body on unless you have some serious horse power. Also as far as direct swaps go im not sure if theres any other 3 bolt GM throttle body thats worth the money to put on. You could switch to a different intake manifold with a 4 bolt design and might have more choice but then you get into messing with injectors and fuel lines and what not. If your dead set on doing something throttle body wise then Id port and polish the stock one, Ive heard some guys claim they notice better throttle responce from doing that. I just ported one for myself bt havent put it on yet. But like I said if your truck isnt a power house putting a huge throttle body on your truck wont really benifit you at all plus it would take a little bit of work. If you dont have many mods such as headers or electric fans a shift kit and servos in the tranny I would spend the money on those things and not a throttle body.

If you wanna do a LS1 TB you will need to switch the upper intake manifold. Your best bet there would be a TBSS or L76 intake and then you could even use a TBSS throttle body. To do a LS car style intake you have to switch around a bunch of stoff on the front of the engine which is a PITA unless u really wanna go that route. The difference between a LS1 TB and a TBSS TB is that the LS! is a true 90mm and the TBSS is 87mm. Not really much difference in the gain of the two. You wont see much gain out of a TB and intake swap without supporting mods. Im not sure on the exact numbers but Ive heard on a TBSS intake and TB swap you see gains of 15-30 rwhp with supporting mods I.E. exhaust and CAI. Im sure one of the other members will chime in here and give you more details. This is just from what I know myself as I am puting a TBSS setup on my truck on the 1st with 44lb injectors and LS1 efans. If you want one of these setups look over on performancetrucks.net Thats where I got my setup from.

Edited by firehawknwv (see edit history)