Electric Fans

canton

i found some fans at a junk yard they are expensive but the guy will drop more than half the price if i take them off my self from the truck they are on i will be dismounting them this weekend and i was wondering if anyone here know how to or can tell me what i have to do and what i need?? any advice guys

thanks

It all depends on what year truck they are coming off of. But unless you want to tackle taking the factory harness and stripping it from the other connections like the headlights and stuff you won't need I would just get the fans and fan harness connectors. Then I would get a e-fan harness kit from Blackbear performance and hook that up. Also make sure you get the two bolts on the top of the fan shroud. They are a different size than the ones that the factory mechanical fan shroud uses, and they mount in a different location but the mount is already threaded. Other than that try to get him as low as possible as you will have to get the fan harness, and possibly a 145amp alt.

Hope this helps.

It all depends on what year truck they are coming off of. But unless you want to tackle taking the factory harness and stripping it from the other connections like the headlights and stuff you won't need I would just get the fans and fan harness connectors. Then I would get a e-fan harness kit from Blackbear performance and hook that up. Also make sure you get the two bolts on the top of the fan shroud. They are a different size than the ones that the factory mechanical fan shroud uses, and they mount in a different location but the mount is already threaded. Other than that try to get him as low as possible as you will have to get the fan harness, and possibly a 145amp alt.

Hope this helps.

I dissagree here... the oem harness is very nice and very much worth it to have... there is no need to take it apart either, it is very simple to just replace the whole front end electrical harness, it ties into the factory fuse box very easy and fast. No doubt that the blackbear harness is nice, but if you can keep it stock why not, especially if you have access to it like he does.

To the o.p. if you can, go ahead and get the harness with the fans... I went from a nelson harness to the oem and regret not having it done sooner.

$175 for the fans & radiator is a great price IMO.

Getting what you need is easy. The fans & radiator come out with removal of literally two bolts. Caveman easy. The wiring for the fans is run in the 'tubing' with the headlight wiring, just take a few minutes and separate it out, the wires will lead to the fuesebox on the driver's fender. Remove the fusebox cover (easy) and towards the firewall-side of the fusebox you will see an extra add-on block of 3-relays & fuses, it is completely separate of all other vehicle wiring, just undo the main power from the battery terminal (you will understand what I mean when you see it, easy to do) and it will come right out. You will probably need to remove the battery tray, upper fender/hinge brace, and open/lift the upper-half of the fuse box out of your way (super easy). Take a full set of 3/8" sockets, a couple screwdrivers, maybe a pair of diags and a 10mm wrench and that's more than enough tools to do the job. The factory e-fan system is just a separately grafted electrical 'add-on' to the truck. GET THE HARNESS, you will spend a few minutes doing this or else spend $100-150 for nearly the exact same control harness from me, Blackbear, or Nelson.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

$175 for the fans & radiator is a great price IMO.

Getting what you need is easy. The fans & radiator come out with removal of literally two bolts. Caveman easy. The wiring for the fans is run in the 'tubing' with the headlight wiring, just take a few minutes and separate it out, the wires will lead to the fuesebox on the driver's fender. Remove the fusebox cover (easy) and towards the firewall-side of the fusebox you will see an extra add-on block of 3-relays & fuses, it is completely separate of all other vehicle wiring, just undo the main power from the battery terminal (you will understand what I mean when you see it, easy to do) and it will come right out. You will probably need to remove the battery tray, upper fender/hinge brace, and open/lift the upper-half of the fuse box out of your way (super easy). Take a full set of 3/8" sockets, a couple screwdrivers, maybe a pair of diags and a 10mm wrench and that's more than enough tools to do the job. The factory e-fan system is just a separately grafted electrical 'add-on' to the truck. GET THE HARNESS, you will spend a few minutes doing this or else spend $100-150 for nearly the exact same control harness from me, Blackbear, or Nelson.

Mr. P. :)

wow this really helps a lot. thanks mr. p if i don't have the chance to get the harness i will buy it off of you