I Want A Upgraded Gm Radio

KAC1023

I don't mind the newer Gm radios. I just got a 03 SS and it has the XM lump, but doesn't have On Star. Is there a newer GM radio that'll fit? I saw a guy who did a 06 H2 radio with DVD. Is there one where I can have XM (possibly sirius too), Navigation and bluetooth but be GM? I see GM radios on eBay for like 3-600 depending and rather have one of those then the same thing that says Alpine and needs dash and wiring harness mods.

I don't mind the newer Gm radios. I just got a 03 SS and it has the XM lump, but doesn't have On Star. Is there a newer GM radio that'll fit? I saw a guy who did a 06 H2 radio with DVD. Is there one where I can have XM (possibly sirius too), Navigation and bluetooth but be GM? I see GM radios on eBay for like 3-600 depending and rather have one of those then the same thing that says Alpine and needs dash and wiring harness mods.

Our gmt800 trucks run a class II data radio, GM radios didn't come with bluetooth till the gmt900 truck which run a lan system, so radios aren't switchable between platforms(not that i know of anyway). So no factory bluetooth option. You can add xm to your existing deck, but you need an interface module and a xm tuner, or a factory xm module and a sharkfin antenna.

There's lots of writeups of guys switching to factory nav, so if you search you will find a how-to. But it's alot of work(change amp, change wiring, add modules, etc). It's cheaper to add aftermarket and alot easier. I can't see you doing a factory nav for under $1200, by the time you get a deck, amp, nav antenna module, navigation discs, and xm module. And if you want touchscreen(of course), that would probably cost well over $2000. All for an outdated system.

For that much money you can have aftermarket touchscreen deck that's way better than factory. You just need a radio data interface and a steering wheel interface(about $100 on flee-bay).

You can get a Avic-x920bt for $800, and that does bluetooth, usb, ipod, nav, cd, dvd, and micro sd. $70 for a xm tuner and install. And you can even do a back up camera too if you want.

Also the Avix-x710bt is more factory looking(still has a knob) and a smaller screen, more like factory nav. Just won't play dvds. Still sounds better the factory anyway, imo.

But yes they do say pioneer on them. Maybe you could just sharpie over the logo or something?

Hope that helps

Edited by paulguy (see edit history)

Sorry for late reply, I'm subscribed to a few threads and when I went back into the "radio" thread I saw the other OEM thread I was in. Thanks for your help and I'm gonna use your advice and get a Alpine radio, the one without CD because no one uses CD's anymore, use the steering wheel controls and hook up my sirius.

Yea, sorry again man for not being ontop of my subscriptions, Yea, one of Alpine IXA headunits, they are their double DIN iPod units with iPOD control and can be upgraded with bluetooth, Satelite, nav, backup camera, etc. I got a few US Amps I'm trying to sell, once they go I'm gonna start with my SS's radio. Thinking about doing Alpine/JL Audio with JL's 12" stealth box with their 12W3 and their 5 channel amp that can power everything and be done.

No worries. Sounds like a good system, I'm not a huge fan of the stealth boxs, don't get me wrong they sound good, but they're pricey. Whats a box for our trucks worth in the us? I've installed them here and I think we where charging about $1200 cnd(about $1150 us).

5 channel amps are cool, unless you want to upgrade. That's probably why they're not as popular as putting in two or more amps.

Myself i didn't amp my rears, left them bose, and I run a big amp to my fronts (focal).

And if anybody's interested there's a cool backup camera tailgate bezel you can get for our trucks at places like cubbycam.com that look pretty nice.