Gutting Cats...

You could just unbolt the exhaust pipes too and get a long rod and jamb it down there and smash out the inside of the cats.

That's what I did with mine, I used a 3/8" piece of rebar & hammer to break-up the catalyst brick into dust; if you do this MAKE SURE you get it ALL out, use compressed air and blow the pipe clean. If I did mine over again, I would have just cut them out and welded-in a set of pipes in their place, used cats are actually worth $30-50 each in scrap value. But, with the pipes hollowed-out and the rear O2's switched off in the PCM the truck will pass visual smog inspection whereas a 'race pipe conversion' won't.

ALSO - by federal law, catalytic converters are covered by a 100K-mile warranty, you may be able to get them replaced at the dealer under warranty if the engine, manifolds, and cats are stock.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Well I finally made it over 100,000 and my warranty is up so I can mod it.. :) I actually went in to the exhaust shop 2 weeks ago asking about the same thing, we both thought it was the heat shield on the stock mufflers because one of the tack welds had come loose. I put on a set of Dynomax mufflers I had laying around and it sounds pretty good... A little drone inside but sounds bad a@@ when I let someone else drive by me....:)

So now the real question... A. does anyone have a picture of our stock exhaust set up? B. What would be a decent cost to have them cut out the cats and pipes welded in? I was going to get a Wheatley tune anyway, looks like I have more of a reason to now... :)

Update...

So the sound I heard to start with was actually the heat shield above the passenger side cat.... But! And theres always a but right? I come out today to get in the truck that autostarted about 5 minutes earlier and it's making this weird knocking noise... No power lose, no cel, drives fine.... WTF right? Well turns out the driver side cat was the one that went bad.... So dealing with all this really had me upset. So what do I do?

IMG00002-20100907-1608.jpg

IMG00001-20100907-1604.jpg

IMG00003-20100907-1609.jpg

Thats right... At the advice of others I just cut them out..... Trucks a little louder but not to much, heat shield fixed and no knocking... :) Most importantly no CEL......Yet! Wheatley tune here I come!