Front End Noise

My brother hasa been experiencing a noise in the front end of his truck at freeway speed only. He says the noise will start infrequently, then go away. Its an intermittent sound. I thought it might be the front diff as this is common with these trucks. Has anyone else experienced front diff noise similar to this or know what else it might be? Thanks for the assistance in advance.

He said its a whining noise. It'll come in pretty loud, then after a bit it just goes away. It has a 112,000 on it and when we changed the front diff and T-case fluids they were hammered. Probably never been done. The metal out of the front diff was very fine, no chunks and the t-case fluid was burnt and clumps came out after it was nearly empty.

i think mines on the verge of going out as well. mine has noticeably increasing in the humming sound. especially when i slow down. after 50mph i cant hear it but it is def coming from the front end. even though i had the front diff and rear diff both rebuilt at 90k......

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me.....

+1

If gears are making noise, they will ALWAYS make noise predictably; you will be able to make the noise on command by either coasting or pulling - gear noise never 'comes and goes' unless you are on & off the throttle. Same with bearings (like inside the axle, or transfer case), except bearings will favor a certain speed ranges. The mileage is about right, I would also suspect one of the wheel hubs is acting-up and needs replacing.

Mr. P.

• 3 weeks later...

I am taking mine back into the shop tomorrow to see if i got a faulty wheel bearing because I recently just had my driverside wheel bearing replaced now i have started hearing a whine coming from my front end that was not there before. the whine can be heard while under very light throttle basically enough to maintain current speed. the whine seems to be louder at slower speeds but is present still at highway speeds while maintaining light throttle pressure, at certain speeds it also causes a vibration that can be felt in the steering wheel. I am hoping it is not the front diff I've got almost 95K on it know and I changed all of the fluids front and rear approx. 20K miles ago with mobil 1 syn gear lube and there were minor shavings on the front drain plug but nothing major. How hard is it to rebuild the front diff?? I am very mechanically inclined as long as i have a decent set of instructions or is this something i should just leave to the pros??