Changing Trans Oil

Im debating on changing the transmission oil myself or taking it to the shop. Do I change the oil the same way I do to my 88 camaro? Drain pan, change fliter, change pan gasket, re-install, turn it on, put it in neutral, and fill it up? Ive also seen posts about using Dexron VI, seen some good things about it, but can it be combined with the Lucas trans. additive? Truck has 50K on it and the last time it was changed is when it had 32K. Sorry for all these questions, I love my truck and I dont have the cashflow to blow it up lol. Thanks

Im debating on changing the transmission oil myself or taking it to the shop. Do I change the oil the same way I do to my 88 camaro? Drain pan, change fliter, change pan gasket, re-install, turn it on, put it in neutral, and fill it up? Ive also seen posts about using Dexron VI, seen some good things about it, but can it be combined with the Lucas trans. additive? Truck has 50K on it and the last time it was changed is when it had 32K. Sorry for all these questions, I love my truck and I dont have the cashflow to blow it up lol. Thanks

You should not have to change it unless it smells burnt it has only been 18k miles and i believe gm recomends changing every 60k .

You should not have to change it unless it smells burnt it has only been 18k miles and i believe gm recomends changing every 60k .

:withstupid: There is no need to change it unless you feel it is absolutely necessary IMO. GM recommends changing the fluid every 50k for "Severe Service" (emergency vehicle or taxi cab), and every 100k for normal use.....

Im sorry I mean to say 60K not 50K. And when I got it rebuilt the service guy told me to change it in 30K to get any debris cleaned out. But when the time comes, would It be a good idea to add a lucas? Or just stick with straight trans oil? THanks

Your 88 camaro does not require to be filled in neutral and your truck is the same. Only some Dodge/Chrysler transmissions require being filled in neutral.

Heres a little set by set

remove shifter linkage bracket from side of the transmission (the pan will not clear if you dont do this)

pull pan and drain (let the trans drip for a good 30minute-1hour)

replace filter

replace pan with new gasket

generally a service will require 4-5 quarts of fluid and I like using the Lube Gard platinum. Here is a link to the product I'm referring to.

http://lubegard.com/~/C-113/LUBEGARD+Platinum+Universal+ATF+Protectant

• 3 months later...

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-177/LUBEGARD+Highly+Friction+Modified+ATF+Supplement

Your 88 camaro does not require to be filled in neutral and your truck is the same. Only some Dodge/Chrysler transmissions require being filled in neutral.

Heres a little set by set

remove shifter linkage bracket from side of the transmission (the pan will not clear if you dont do this)

pull pan and drain (let the trans drip for a good 30minute-1hour)

replace filter

replace pan with new gasket

generally a service will require 4-5 quarts of fluid and I like using the Lube Gard platinum. Here is a link to the product I'm referring to.

http://lubegard.com/~/C-113/LUBEGARD+Platinum+Universal+ATF+Protectant

My Napa only carriers this one. Will it work or no?