Truck Got Hit

8 UR HMI

...since my bumper is hanging by a thread, literally...

literally? our bumpers are sewed on? ya learn something new everyday...weird.

i've said it once, and i'll say it again...you need new friends.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

literally? our bumpers are sewed on? ya learn something new everyday...weird.

i've said it once, and i'll say it again...you need new friends.

haha. its cracked and wont sit on the metal smooth. and this is different friends. ppl im GOOD friends with. it was a drunk/ buzzed accident. he just wasnt paying attention.

and shaun on the parked thing, my other ride is a 94 cavi with 180k miles bought for $1100. the transmission and a/c went out same time lol. ill get a pic of the beast but its at the farm instead of the truck. i needed a vehicle and look what i get for not keeping it in the barm :banghead:

im gonna see if my roommate will write me a check for 400 bucks for the bumper. how much do they actually cost brand new? and no the cladding wont be able to be just painted because it dug a seem in the plastic. gonna try and get a bser if he writes me a check and my buddy eric (crf250rider) lives down the street and has a friend back home that will paint it for 100 bucks so if i can get it its n the bag

so the dude was driving drunk?

no everybody else was drunk, thats y he had to drive. i was in my buddies truck waiting for him to pull out and follow him to this party and watched him hit it. i was parked next to him but our driveway is at an angle and he parked straight in the driveway rather than with the angle and i was halfway in the grass and driveway and he just backed up and hit the rear passenger cladding and pulled the bumper with it and cracked the corner and ripped it off the mounts just on that side.

THAT sucks. :( Sorry to hear that Bob.

Mr. P.

so i just talked to him and he wants to see if our buddy can sand down my bumper and cladding and use plastic filler and re-paint it :wtf:

the bumper is not attached anymore on the passenger side cause he like snapped it off the plastic retainers and clips or what not

so i just talked to him and he wants to see if our buddy can sand down my bumper and cladding and use plastic filler and re-paint it :wtf:

the bumper is not attached anymore on the passenger side cause he like snapped it off the plastic retainers and clips or what not

No go, I wouldn't let a friend of his half-ass a repair on the cheap. Tell him that a body shop of your choice is going to fix it, and that he is gonna foot the bill, end of story. He screwed up, now he can pay for it.....

i trust jeff (our friend) to an extent, but with plastic i dont think so. and the bumper is the real concern, it sits lower and the entire thing pops and sounds like its cracking when i grab and shake it. it doesnt sit sraight anymore

so today, my alternator wire has been loose and i was messing with it and decided to actually get under the truck and inspect the bumper. the supporting frame pieces are bent really bad and got a level out and the bumper is so far from level and is leaning downward that it needs to be replaced or swapped with a bser. this is what my roommate who is a good friend of mine said "its not bent, i looked at it, i can fabricate anything just as good as a body shop. ur just trying to milk more than its worth. its not like ur bumper is totaled. i can fix it when i have time"

:wtf: i told him hes not gonna fabricate anything on my truck, he hit it and it needs to be taken care of. im gonna go get a quote on the damage and then tell him to write me a check so he doesnt have to file insurance. the plastic is about 2 inches from the cladding and about an inch too low from the tailgate. it pops and cracks and does not sit flush. its not just gonna be a simple add a bolt fix, its cracked and its MY TRUCK!!!! he said its no big deal and is not noticeable. doesnt matter if it is or not, its MY TRUCK once again and it was perfectly fine before. this sucks cause hes a good friend and my roommate, not like my last roommate who i would call the insurance and make them come out.

and i looked at his truck, it hit so hard that when he hit it, it not only set off my alarm and lifted the entire back end of the truck but it bent his RANCHAND bumper and took paint off it. thats not a little tap.

:rant: sorry im just so annoyed that everytime i look at it i get pissed off cause its not some little thing, the entire bumper is bent because of the sheer force and pull from being dragged by a f250.

ill let yall know what happens.

... i told him hes not gonna fabricate anything on my truck, he hit it and it needs to be taken care of. ...

GOOD FOR YOU. :closedeyes:

You are getting a total BS job here Bob - IF this guy was as badass a bodyman as he says he is, he'd be doing it either professionally or as a side-job. And NO credible body man would EVER say "I'll just make my own bumper brackets" because it would be stupid to take all day in labor to do that when you can go to the wrecking yard and get '99-06 bumper brackets off a totaled truck for cheap-cheap-cheap. You are not dealing with an experienced body man.

On this deal, if the damage is limited to only the bumper consider yourself lucky. Other damage to look for, make sure that the bumper did not contact/impact into the end of the bed floor (under the tailgate), the tailgate itself, or impact into the side of the bed. If the pickup bed has damage it is VERY labor itensive and time consuming to fix, doubly-so in your case as your truck is black meaning that it cannot be spot-repaired, the entire bedside would have to be replaced or you would see a ripple in the panel under the black paint job. Black reveals all.

Cheapest solution here is to buy a used SSS black bumper & brackets for $300-400, assuming that is all the damage there is. I hope your frame rails themselves did not get bent sideways 1/8" or more by the force of the impact.

The "right" thing to do is this - get THREE estimates (estimates are free!) and present him the lowest of the three, just so that there is no way anyone can argue you're trying to screw them. This is what would be required if you had to take him to court anyways. If all three estimates say "remove and replace bumper" well then that is something you can handle yourselves. If not... well then you will have the entire story.

Another option - take the issue to YOUR insurance company, explain the whole situation to them; you PAY for them to get the money out of him! Let THEM talk to him about making your truck right.

Mr. P.

i have class today and tomorrow so ill be going friday moring to get an estimate or 2 or 3 lol. i dont want him to have to pay a crap load of money when i get just get the cost of all parts (est. $400) and buy a bser and not have to worry about labor and time. my friend can get it painted for the price of paint and what not so if i get a bser for 375 get it painted out the door for 475. that is more than reasonable considering im not gonna worry about the cladding since i can cover that up. im not really worried about the cladding, just the bumper and it not being able to sit straight and stuff. steve give me a call around 7 tonight if u have a chance. i get out of class at 645

... steve give me a call...

Gotcha.

There's nothing wrong with making lemonaide out of lemons and getting a rollpan instead of a rear bumper; just make sure there is nothing wrong with the bedside, if there is that's a significant issue.

Mr. P.

ok got 3 updates today. first was 1700, 2nd 1400, 3rd 1400. so yea its not a cheap and easy fix.

on a side note, my iphone 4 got stolen from subway today. yea some stupid bitch said it was hers to the person working there cause i was in a hurry and accidentally left it on the counter. it was gone in 5 mins. it has a passcode lock and apple says theres no way to trace it :wtf: so i had the police come to subway and everything. got her on camera and what not. went to at&t and they are no looking out for it since u have to get a special sim car for it and the one in it is registered to my number. they cant get the phone to work without it and since u cant get it anywhere else, they will be caught. for the mean time im gonna use my dads upgrade and get another iphone 4 since all of my numbers etc... are on mine comp. then when i get it back ill sell the new one or my old one, depends if any damage is done to MY phone.