No Cats?

kimossabi

Whats up fellas? I have American Racing high flow cats with a corsa exhaust and im thinking about cutting them out. If I take them out is it gonna make a real bad drone inside the cab? Have any of yall done the same thing and if so did you like the way it sounds or is it too much?

I have the ARH 1-7/8" headers with a Corsa Touring, no cats, and it is the bomb. :thumbs::thumbs: At idle and low throttle it sounds very close to stock volume, but when you go WOT it's just NASCAR loud! I love it! Turning from a stoplight underneath an overpass & nail the pedal = instant wood and huge smile hahaha :D And NO drone, at all; I've locked the converter at 1400-rpm WOT and tried to make it drone, there's none. :thumbs:

Call ARH and see how much they will charge you for the two ORY pipes, they would probably be the same price as paying the labor to an exhaust shop to modify what's there already. And that way if you need the cats for inspection you'll still have them.

Mr. P. :)

I have the ARH 1-7/8" headers with a Corsa Touring, no cats, and it is the bomb. thumb.gifthumb.gif At idle and low throttle it sounds very close to stock volume, but when you go WOT it's just NASCAR loud! I love it! Turning from a stoplight underneath an overpass & nail the pedal = instant wood and huge smile hahaha biggrin.gif And NO drone, at all; I've locked the converter at 1400-rpm WOT and tried to make it drone, there's none. thumb.gif

Call ARH and see how much they will charge you for the two ORY pipes, they would probably be the same price as paying the labor to an exhaust shop to modify what's there already. And that way if you need the cats for inspection you'll still have them.

Mr. P. smile.gif

do you have a sound clip,i've been thinking about doing the same thing.....i wonder how louder it be since i have the corsa sport

Nope, sorry no sound clips.

I've heard the difference between the Touring and the Sport, and the best way to describe is: inside the cab they sound identical, at idle, cruise, and WOT there is no difference (I was actually surprised); the Sport and Touring have the same sound 'character' and volume. Outside the cab is a different story - on N/A trucks, the Sport is a tick louder than the Touring, but not much (not enough to matter anyways) but the Sport is much more 'nasal' sounding when you have your foot into it, and as a result that sound carries further, you can hear it farther away. On supercharged trucks, the Sport is as loud as a motor with zoomies and the sound carries on the wind for an eternity - we've heard BroBrad's truck at WOT from distances as far away as literally 1-mile. My truck, well I've only gotten it up to 4-psi so far and it's loud enough up close that it will require ear protection, but I can tell that because the sound doesn't have that piercing 'nasal' component it will not carry nearly as far as the Sport.

The vehicle I have heard from the farthest distance in my life is BroBrad's truck, and he has Pacesetters, no cats, and Corsa Sport. But side-by-side in the driveway my truck is IMO just about as loud at WOT. Someday we'll get them on the track at the same time and find out just exactly who's is "loudest" :ninja:

Debating wether to order a new set of mid pipes from ARH without cats or just cut off the cats that are on the truck now.....is there really a sound difference as far as loudness??

Edited by angels05ss (see edit history)

Debating wether to order a new set of mid pipes from ARH without cats or just cut off the cats that are on the truck now.....is there really a sound difference as far as loudness??

It will be a little louder, but not like night/day louder; the biggest difference is that you will hear/feel the pulses between each cylinder firing, the exhaust will become a little more choppier - cats will 'smooth' out the exhaust flow. Right now when you put your hand over the tailpipe the exhaust feels like a steady stream of outgoing gasses, after removing cats it will pulse agaist your hand.

It will be a little louder, but not like night/day louder; the biggest difference is that you will hear/feel the pulses between each cylinder firing, the exhaust will become a little more choppier - cats will 'smooth' out the exhaust flow. Right now when you put your hand over the tailpipe the exhaust feels like a steady stream of outgoing gasses, after removing cats it will pulse agaist your hand.

Mr. P. smile.gif

i talked to ARH and they want $350 for just the off-road/mid-pies without cats!!! the muffler shop i always go to will do it for $75 just to put pipes in place of the cats.....dunno.gif

i talked to ARH and they want $350 for just the off-road/mid-pies without cats!!! the muffler shop i always go to will do it for $75 just to put pipes in place of the cats.....dunno.gif

HOLY CRAP. That's like 2.5 times more than what I thought they would charge. :yellow_loser: Yeah just have the local exhaust shop replace them with pipe, if available try to get them to weld in stainless tubing.

Mr. P.