The Phantom Sound

ok heres the sound ive been trying to figure out. its not motor knock cause it doesnt do it all the time and it is ESPECIALLY loud when i run over bumps. it started the day i got my truck back from the driverside front hub assem. but the sound, sounds like its coming from the dash but i pulled the radio and listened and its hidden. i cant figure it out. my exhaust isnt loose, theres no bolts loose, i just cant figure it out. any ideas? im gonna take it back to the place that did all the work since my alignment is off (they aligned it and the truck shakes at 62mph. ) so im gonna make them diagnose the problem if i cant figure it out.

th_IMG_0093.jpg

I wonder if it's one of the HVAC actuator doors flopping around in there. I have heard of them breaking, but I don't know what they sound like when they are broken. Try turning on your heat or A/C and see if it changes. smash.gif

ok heres the sound ive been trying to figure out. its not motor knock cause it doesnt do it all the time and it is ESPECIALLY loud when i run over bumps. it started the day i got my truck back from the driverside front hub assem. but the sound, sounds like its coming from the dash but i pulled the radio and listened and its hidden. i cant figure it out. my exhaust isnt loose, theres no bolts loose, i just cant figure it out. any ideas? im gonna take it back to the place that did all the work since my alignment is off (they aligned it and the truck shakes at 62mph. ) so im gonna make them diagnose the problem if i cant figure it out.

th_IMG_0093.jpg

Shaking at 60-65 mph is tires out of balance.

The noise you are hearing is something loose/busted behind the dash; some very small detail can cause a major racket like that, my GF's '06 mustang had a A-pillar cover vibrating against the dash and it was that loud, it took several weeks until I tracked down the culprit.

When it's making the noise, lightly run your hand over parts of the dash and see if you can feel vibration; try opening the glovebox door all the way and maybe the noise is coming from the climate control ducting??

Mr. P.

Possibly the steering column slip joint. Very common on these trucks......

Also, noises can be very deceiving. I had one that sounded like it was in the a-pillar...I tore the dash apart trying to isolate it. Turned out to be a metal tag on the radiator support that was buzzing at hwy speeds! good luck

Possibly the steering column slip joint. Very common on these trucks......

Also, noises can be very deceiving. I had one that sounded like it was in the a-pillar...I tore the dash apart trying to isolate it. Turned out to be a metal tag on the radiator support that was buzzing at hwy speeds! good luck

i just thought of that. it does it at idle, and only in gear...... but i have noticed it to be louder when i turn but it sounds like the center of the truck rather than the steering slip joint..... idk. im going back to the shop tomorrow that did the work after changing tires so they will have to realign it since its not right to begin with

now its doing it at idle in park, i can put my ear against the winshield and hear it, but when i put my head against the hood (checking for it to be the motor) i cant hear it. i know its not a screw or bolt losse because it doesnt "rattle" like one.