Ok I'M Doing It - Efans Group Purchase

misterp

Hi everybody :cheers:

After several weeks of preparation I am now ready to do an EFan Kit group purchase. To determine pricing I need to know just how many people are able to order a kit; if you are seriously interested (aka willing and able to place an order!) please post here, send me a PM, send me and email at [email protected], or text/call my cel 254-413-3733. I need to know if we are going to have 5-units, 8-units, 12-units, 100-units [gawd I hope not!] so that I can strongarm final pricing on a couple of kit components. This is not limited to SilveradoSS.com forum members, please feel welcome to pass this information on to the other truck forums and your truck enthusiast friends.

The Torrent E-Fan Kit fits all 1999-2006 and 'classic 2007' GMT-800 series GM trucks with heavy-duty 34" radiator. Expected price is going to range between $520 and $550, depending on group purchase participation. Final delivery is planned for the Thanksgiving-week timeframe.

When you send your message to me, I need to know the year of your truck because the pre-2003 trucks need a different harness, to work with the older A/C control system.

IF THERE IS ENOUGH INTEREST - I am willing to entertain making a shroud to fit Duramax trucks and trucks with non-HD 28" radiator.

Steve Poythress.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Haha it's alright bud, just giving you a hard time. I still plan on buying some one of these days, I'll have to wait till my stock fans crap out though. G/l with the group buy, people need to jump on this for sure!

What trucks have the 34" radiator and what ones have the 28"er? I was debating on doing Electric's in my 03, just trying to clear a few things up before I buy, radiator sizes, the Computer upgrade, the wiring with 3 relays for low/high and AC, etc...

What trucks have the 34" radiator and what ones have the 28"er? I was debating on doing Electric's in my 03, just trying to clear a few things up before I buy, radiator sizes, the Computer upgrade, the wiring with 3 relays for low/high and AC, etc...

The Torrent EFan kits come completely assembled, with shroud and control harness. One stop shopping!

General radiator size guidelines:

The ultimate answer is to take a tape measure, and measure the width of your radiator.

As a general rule-of-thumb - if the truck came with a 6.0L motor (LQ4 or LQ9), it should automatically come with the wide radiator. So Silverado SS trucks, Escalades, Suburbans, etc. All single-cabs came factory with the narrow (28") radiators. I am pretty sure that all 5.3L trucks regardless of body (single-cab, extended-cab, quad-cab) also have the narrow radiator but I am not absolutely positive on that, GM may have offered the HD radiator on trucks equipped with a factory "towing package".

Computer upgrade - yes you need to have your PCM tuned; all truck PCMs already have the software logic in them to operate efans, but it is disabled from the factory. As a tuning chore, enabling EFans is very easy to do IF you have the software. At present EFILive will give access to ALL efan operating parameters, and I have heard that there is a prototype HPTuners version out there as well but that it's in beta, so you HPTuners guys will have to research that and make sure what your options are. If you do not have access to EFILive then as a workaround your control box will have to be designed & operated like a 1999-2002 truck, less than perfect but better than no efan control at all.

Make sure you have enough alternator - minimum acceptable is factory 145A alternator, or better. The 105A alternator will power the fans at low speed with no issue, but when HI kicks on they will drag the output down to battery-level (12V).

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

POST FROM A PAST GROUP PURCHASE PROMOTION ON THIS SITE:

OK Folks - to this point I've kept a lot of restraint speaking about our fans, and now after all the experience we've gained in this last year I'll cut to the chase and say if you are in the market for EFans on your '99+ GM truck YOU WANT THESE FANS. After a year of real-world service we (and our customers!) have enjoyed 100% success and satisfaction with our product. Since beginning design a couple years ago I have seen every form of efan install, and after countless comparisons with trucks parked fender-to-fender we can honestly say the HPM Efans absolutely outperform anything else on the market in CFM, reliability, ease/speed of install, space (low-profile), and value. The HPM Efans pull half-again more air than the GM 2005+ efans, and virtually double anything else I've seen including retrofitted LS1 Efans, junkyard FoMoCo fans, aftermarket kits, you name it - none come close (if you are a numbers guy our fans pull 6500-CFM at full-blow).

Kits feature a FULL powder-coated aluminum shroud, SPAL OE-rated high-performance 16" electric fans, generous 10-gauge wiring, heavy-duty 30-amp relays, and weatherproof harness. SPAL fans are triple balanced, completely sealed, and have 10,000-hour motor life and 3-year warranty. All wiring is crimped, AND soldered, AND heat-shrinked for maximum reliability. Our elegant design greatly cleans-up any truck underhood, and no other system can match our low-profile design; fan depth is only 1-inch and the depth of the electric motors is only 3.25-inches! If turbo or supercharging is in your truck's future and you need that up-front underhood room to run 4" charge pipe plumbing with room to spare then you need these fans! If you've got a lot of show-work on the front of your engine like custom pulleys or polishing/plating/paint and you want to maximize it's display, you need these fans. The control box mounts unobtrusively in the engine compartment near the fans to minimize wiring and stay out of sight; total fan system weight is under 15-pounds.

But the most important part of the HPM EFan kit is what you don't see - you don't see loose/hanging wires. You don't see improper grounding heard in your stereo when the fans kick on or off. You don't see inadequate wiring. Nor improper fusing. Nor unsightly mounting. I cannot tell you how many scary installs I've seen and chastised guys about, a few times I've looked underhood to see melted components and loose connections... I am not exaggerating the importance of this, some memorable real-life disasters in the making we've recently seen first-hand include a Silverado truck fire (FAL controller went up in flames), a TBSS fire (an unknowledgeable installer wired everything through a single overloaded relay), another vehicle with no EFan fusing (!), a SSS with Picasso-esque melted relay sockets (the owner told us it was done by a highly-regarded audio installer), another SSS with melted/burned in-line fuse holders, and a few owner-modified vehicles trying to power their efans with puny wiring that was showing distressed/melting jacketing at the crimps - there are many EFan wiring sins out there in the real world and at best these systems will leave their owners overheated, at worst on fire.

The HPM EFan harness is developed to maintain less than 3% voltage drop PLUS have the extra capacity to handle over 25% amperage increase which happens during a charging system issue - yes we were sadistic enough to load & operate the HPM Efan harness long-term at over 80-amps (that's enough power to weld the frame of your truck). Reliability and safety is also the reason why the HPM Efan harness is correctly fused, to protect not only your fans but also your vehicle. Our commitment to safety and reliability is also proudly displayed in the soldering/sleeving of each connection as well as using only premium eletrical components - no shortcuts.

If you've got a few hand tools at your disposal and can follow well-photographed instructions then you will have your electric fans installed in 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours; experienced mechanics with necessary tools and tuning software can shut the hood in as little as 45-minutes, end-to-end. In addition to the initial install, our weatherproof wiring connectors allow the fans to be quickly removed and reinstalled as fast as you can wrench two bolts (!) making life that much easier for YOU!

Pics:

The HPM Silverado EFan Kit, installed:

01blkfans.jpg

The HPM Silverado EFan Kit - you get everything pictured here:

02blkfans.jpg

Link to the Efan Installation Manual:

Efan_Installation_Manual.pdf

A high-output alternator upgrade is suggested for trucks with any efan kit as these draw 35-amps at high speed; the stock Delco 105-amp alternator will get you by but barely! If you already have a taxed electrical system then this extra electrical load might be more than your alternator can supply and the fans will be drawing off your battery when they kick into high speed. The 140-amp Delco alternator is made with several different styles of electrical connectors, make sure you get one that is correct for your truck - for GM trucks 2004 and older you want the 145-amp Delco alternator and accessory belt off of a 2003-2004 Z71 Tahoe. You can never have too much alternator!

Any more PRODUCT or technical questions please post here, so that I can answer for everyone. If you have purchasing questions shoot me a PM. And our thanks again to Josh and Merv in supporting me as a SilveradoSS.com vendor. :chevy:

Steve Poythress (Mr. P.) :)

I see a few guys interested in this which is awesome to support a member. Here is a good question, what is the cheapest and easiest way to make a pre 05' computer without fans work with this kit? I see you can do EFI Live VIA Black Bear (which has GREAT customer support), another SilveradoSS.com supporter. What are the options in keeping the "stock" look?