Transmission Upgrade Help?

Brunswicks SS

ok like the titles says Im wondering for my setup I will be running should I upgrade the trans? and if so what should i get? i have typical bolt ons... CAI, OBX lts, exhaust, and of course wheatly tune. so the question once more should i upgrade tranny? aand with what? shift kit hd2? what anything or possibly stall. thank you

I have pretty much the same mods as you just different Lts and a different tune and as far as my tranny goes I have a transgo HD2 shift kit corvette 1-2 servos sonnax billet 4th servo and a metal accumulator piston all that stuff was not really expensive the labor to put it in can be a little expensive depending on where you go to get it installed. Then If I were you id see what wheatley did in your tune as far as where your shift points are and what not, after you install the shift kit and servos there might be room for improvement in the tune for the tranny as well. Ive had good luck with my tranny for the most part with the mods I have but alot of the GM 4L60E or 4L65E trannys are weak anyways so the shift kit will be good for the mods you have now but it is by no means a built tranny and I plan on doing a built 4L65E in the spring. I got the shift kit from Summit and everything else from Oregon performance transmisson. Let me know if you have any more questions!

The weak spots are the internals, Sunshell, Hub, Clutches, Input shaft etc. Some guys have had luck for a long time with just a shift kit and some servos, while others break the internals all the time. Your tune can be set up to optimize your shift points, harshness, and the amount of delay between gears.

Here is a good thought for you on the trans and a converter. Say you put in the shift kit, and some other valvebody goodies, then put in the billet servos and threw in a nice converter. Then you are ripping on it down the road and snap, bang. screechhhhhh, mother ###### what was that? The internals of the trans just tore up the parts you just put in.....

I have been waiting for over a year to put a stall in due to testing the trans, but in the spring i'll put one in if she holds up through winter.

Most shops will warranty the trans for a year if you have them do the upgrades FWIW.

Yes. It's almost a necessity on these trucks.

What you should get is up to your budget. If you can do it, or shop does it, and what your future plans on engine mods are.

Also depends on how many miles are on your trans. If you have higher mileage you might want to either have it rebuilt with hardened internals, and better clutches, or get a built trans. It all depends on the $ you can or want to spend.