What Does A Sts Turbo Kit Run For?

should really run good dude if you have all the supporting mods for it, also depends on the boost your running , but you can make some really good power with a turbo

Sorry I should have been a bit more clear, what does a complete kit cost and what other mods might I need to get either before or with the kit. Thanks for the input though.

umm hard to say but i know over on pt.net they had starter turbo kits going for 2000, sold by either trick or kb. pretty well everything you need except an intercooler, i would get ahold of those guys and see what they have to say

I would go front mount.

KB and trick have intro kits for $3500 but you will need to find some misc parts...

:withstupid::withstupid::withstupid:

I know the rear-mount seems like a good way to save $$$ but everyone I know of that went STS has later removed the kit & gone front-mount. Go front-mount the first time. And DO NOT skimp on transmission or tune, take the money you save (in getting a single front-mount turbo) and put it into these areas.

Mr. P.

Dont waste your money with an STS kit like Mr P says lots of people who run them take them off and go to a front mount kit from either trick kb or nelson performance. Supporting mods youll need is a really really really well built tranny a fuel system to support it as well as a spot on tune or else youll run into big problems if your not tuned spot on. The LQ9's that come in the SS are a high compression motor and turbos dont like high compression. I personally wouldnt even mess around with a turbo on an LQ9 unless you lower your compression ratio. Some more advise I can give you is dont try to do a turbo set up the cheap way! Do it right the first time because if you try to cut corners and save money your just wasting your time because your just going to break stuff. And if you cant afford it all at once then do it in steps do the built tranny first because no matter what type of power your making a built tranny is always good. The words cheap and turbo do not go together more than likley if you do a turbo set up youll break something at some time or another so Id also advise you to find your save a reliable daily driver if you dont have one already because a turbo kit wont really be a bolt on and go thing especially on a stock LQ9 to be safe youll have to do alot of data logging to make sure your not going to do any internal engine damage. What other mods do you have done to your truck right now? If your close to stock I wouldnt even think about a turbo set up especially if your not familair with working on your own truck because it will get expensive, but if your pretty much stock now which maybe your not but if you are a turbo set up is a big mod to just jump into. I wouldnt even look at a turbo set up for a stock SS unless I had atleast 10 grand set aside and thats bare minimum, I myself plan on doing a turbo set up at some point down the road but im going to either find another LQ9 or find an LQ4 and build it for boost. Mods like that require alot of research and being familiar with how all the stuff works and what your buying and what not. If you really want to do some type of forced induction alot of people here have good luck with the magnachargers and prochargers I would look more into those unless your planning on spending alot of coin on a turbo set up because in order for it to be reliable youll have to spend money on the best parts other wise your truck will be parked more than its driven!

:withstupid::withstupid::withstupid:

I know the rear-mount seems like a good way to save $$$ but everyone I know of that went STS has later removed the kit & gone front-mount. Go front-mount the first time. And DO NOT skimp on transmission or tune, take the money you save (in getting a single front-mount turbo) and put it into these areas.

Mr. P.

I am ran the sts setup for 3 years in Alaska. I know they "function" as they are suppose to. They are a little tricky to get setup up correctly(supporting mods). The only reason that I ran the sts setup was because I wanted a turbo setup and we had emission testing up here and this was the only way to pass the test. The sts setups are "EASY" to install and run. You can make them fast. I got my truck down to a 13.0 with 9psi on a motor wanting Way more boost(cr 8.8:1).

I suggest that if you want to upgrade later with more power, Definitly go with the front mount. I am in the middle of finishing up my front mount swap. I have my used sts setup in the garage that I am going to sell later if you are interested, but I still suggest the front mount if you want to go Big!

I personally wouldnt even mess around with a turbo on an LQ9 unless you lower your compression ratio. Some more advise I can give you is dont try to do a turbo set up the cheap way! Do it right the first time because if you try to cut corners and save money your just wasting your time because your just going to break stuff.

If you really want to do some type of forced induction alot of people here have good luck with the magnachargers and prochargers I would look more into those unless your planning on spending alot of coin on a turbo set up because in order for it to be reliable youll have to spend money on the best parts other wise your truck will be parked more than its driven!

I only quoted some of Jordan's post to say something

I just want to say once you are building boost, Boost is boost. The only diffrence that I can see is when the boost comes into play. That is the diffrence in turbos, roots blowers, centrificals and so on. If you are set on a sts setup, once you get the install done. You can just drive the truck. The tune for the truck is definitly an important part of the performance especially on a forced induction motor. I have had mulitiple tuners tune my truck and everytime they ran diffrent. Sts now has their own tuner(I have not used him). They either set you up with a predator with a custom tune in it, or they can use hptuners if you have the software.

Good luck with you decision.

Dont waste your money with an STS kit like Mr P says lots of people who run them take them off and go to a front mount kit from either trick kb or nelson performance. Supporting mods youll need is a really really really well built tranny a fuel system to support it as well as a spot on tune or else youll run into big problems if your not tuned spot on. The LQ9's that come in the SS are a high compression motor and turbos dont like high compression. I personally wouldnt even mess around with a turbo on an LQ9 unless you lower your compression ratio. Some more advise I can give you is dont try to do a turbo set up the cheap way! Do it right the first time because if you try to cut corners and save money your just wasting your time because your just going to break stuff. And if you cant afford it all at once then do it in steps do the built tranny first because no matter what type of power your making a built tranny is always good. The words cheap and turbo do not go together more than likley if you do a turbo set up youll break something at some time or another so Id also advise you to find your save a reliable daily driver if you dont have one already because a turbo kit wont really be a bolt on and go thing especially on a stock LQ9 to be safe youll have to do alot of data logging to make sure your not going to do any internal engine damage. What other mods do you have done to your truck right now? If your close to stock I wouldnt even think about a turbo set up especially if your not familair with working on your own truck because it will get expensive, but if your pretty much stock now which maybe your not but if you are a turbo set up is a big mod to just jump into. I wouldnt even look at a turbo set up for a stock SS unless I had atleast 10 grand set aside and thats bare minimum, I myself plan on doing a turbo set up at some point down the road but im going to either find another LQ9 or find an LQ4 and build it for boost. Mods like that require alot of research and being familiar with how all the stuff works and what your buying and what not. If you really want to do some type of forced induction alot of people here have good luck with the magnachargers and prochargers I would look more into those unless your planning on spending alot of coin on a turbo set up because in order for it to be reliable youll have to spend money on the best parts other wise your truck will be parked more than its driven!

:ughdance: Really? I think you need to do some more internet reading.

To the OP. Do what ever fits your budget. The biggiest Issue that people have with the STS kits is that they do not provide the under hood flash that the front mount kits do. Properly set up they are capable of the same if not power as a comparable Front mount kit. Trick did a back to back comparison of a basic STS kit, VS. a Front mount kit and at the same boost level the STS make more power and torque. However the front mount was able to make more power when the boost was increased past the efficiency rate of the STS and they didn't even bother upsizing the STS turbo kit, as they did the front mount. For what ever reason people get an STS kit and magicaly think their trucks are going to run mid 11"s however noone takes into consideration that it is just ment to be a low cost intro level turbo kit that was designed to performe like the old radix 112 kits. And yes the STS kits are upgreadable just like any other, but it seem that everyone just goes to the underhood flash of a front mount instead of making the STS work.

As for the comment on how turbos don't like high compression... Exhaust pulses and thermal efficiency is what spools/keeps a turbo spooling, and what causes higher exhause pulses and thermal heat... Compression!!! The problem with high compression and turbos is that YAHOO's try to cram high boost into a high compression motor with out proper setups. High compression and moderate to low boost = Fun daily driver/strip vehicle. Low compression and high boost = vehicles that are lazy dogs but once full boost hits, you better be hanging on to something. Its all in the set up and both the STS and the Front mounts can be set up to work or fail

As for me, I like the fact that I'm still the only one that runs an STS kit. SO I guess I can say thank to all for convicing everyone to do everything else but an STS kit.

:withstupid: the sts kit is a great STARTER kit as is. if ur not going for huge numbers and still want to drive the truck around, GO FOR IT!!!! i myself had an sts kit that i had chopped and cut for certain reasons. if u have it done right and tuned its a great kit. i had major tuning issues and since i cant tune or read the logs very well, i ditched the kit. if i had the time like ray has (chpspecial) and the knowledge, i wouldnt have ditched the sts and gone n/a because once they go, they are fun as hell. sts kits are cheaper and work with some supporting mods. just like any turbo kit or blower that is the bottom end or mid end, these motors can handle 10 PSI WITHOUT A PROBLEM with the proper tuning. a radix usually pushes 8-9 lbs and the basic entry STS kit does the same.

if i were u, i would get it if u like how turbos sound. dont forget, turbos take wasted exhaust to make power, blower TAKE POWER TO MAKE POWER!!!! the sts is great and with the proper tuning u will b good to go.

also, u might want to hollow ur cats or get rid of them before u add a rear mount. the extra fuel enrichment clogs them very quickly as i learned the hard way lol