Towing With The Ss

PHALERYDR

I was just wondering what the tow rating is on the SS. i would like to hook up an enclosed motorcycle trailer with up to 4 bikes and tools behind it. I know that you can not use a 3rd wheel trailer but was wonder how much weight could be towed with the truck. I have the tow package and the truck is AWD ( it is an '05 ). Does anyone do alot of towing with their SS. If so is there certain things that I need to look or watch out for? The truck will only be towing the bikes to the beach and back.

I've towed with my AWD 04 SS, I think you'd be alright.. I've towed a livestock trailer with 2 Longhorn Bulls on one occasation... Same livestock trailer with 2 horses.. Vehicles; a 2 92 Cadillac, a 91 Cadillac... Even a salvaged boat... Haha just given you an idea blahblah.gif

I've towed with my AWD 04 SS, I think you'd be alright.. I've towed a livestock trailer with 2 Longhorn Bulls on one occasation... Same livestock trailer with 2 horses.. Vehicles; a 2 92 Cadillac, a 91 Cadillac... Even a salvaged boat... Haha just given you an idea blahblah.gif

Hmmmm....... so 4 bikes should be ok. I need to find out how much the enclosed trailer is going to weigh.

+1 on getting a brake controller but also get your self some helper air bags. I towed my 14ft enclosed trailer from MN to VA and back with 3 motorcycles and a full toolbox(40" snap on roller) and a bunch of extra stuff and the ride was terrible on some parts of certain highways. I installed some firestone helper bags and drove from MN to Alaska with a similar load and it made a world of difference.

Towed a dirtbike trailer full of music equipment a few times and it was fine. An tow mode didnt really do much for me.

I have yet to use the Tow mode on mine, does it keep the truck in a certain gear or keep it from switching back a forth between gears? Should it be used all the time or only when going up and down hills were the truck will want to shift gears alot?

There more info on this somewhere?

Yes you can do a search for it, but in short, all you need is the calipers, caliper brakets, rotors, and pads from an 06 truck for the front brakes. Keep your rears, and as an added measure, do the Stainless Steel brake lines (5 total), this will be a dramatic difference for a low cost brake upgrade.

Edit: If you have a regular 1500 non SS, you can upgrade the rear punny disk, single piston rear set up for the SSS/Suburban/tahoe/escalade rear set up and get a thicker/bigger rotor with two piston caliper.

Edited by chpspecial (see edit history)