Font Diff Rebuilt

Well, I finally got scared enough to get my front diff looked at after my nine year old daughter noticed the growl in the front end. $2000 later all is well, but a bit butt hurt over forking out that kinda money just before Christmas. Oh well, at least its fixed. It was good timing the mechanic at the dealer said. All the bearings were shot and near complet failure. The gearing was also worn badly. I called Chevrolet to see if they'd be so gracious to help cover some of the cost being this has been an all too common issue on these trucks. i should fined out monday if they will help out, so cross your fingers. Hopefully this will help those of you on the fence deciding on when to get yours fixed. If they help me, they might help you. I have 78,xxx miles on mine.

Showngo I dont think converting it to 2WD would hurt the resale value too much especially if it doesnt snow much where you live. Im planning on doing the samething as far as converting it to 2WD once my front diff goes out its starting to howl too so hopefully it lasts until atleast the spring time. But BlackUtSSS $2000 bucks if pretty expensive I think you could have saved some coin if you didnt take it to the dealership, most reputable tranny shops should be able to tackle a front diff rebuild but if chevy decides to help you out then in that case going to the dealership was a good choice!

I always apprehensive about getting service at the dealership. The only saving grace in my mind is that they are familiar with what needs to be done. Maybe its just me, but when it comes to stuff like that, service from the dealer makes me feel better about it.

UPDATE: I got a callback from Chevrolet today on if they would be helping me with any cost assistance on my front differential. They stated that since the truck is 4 yrs. out of warranty that they wont be able to assist with any of the repair costs.

I pretty well figured this would be the case, but thought at least to try and see. I wish the best of luck to all of those who havent had to rebuild or replace their differentials.

Have a HAPPY and SAFE THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!:cheers:

Do the Escalade and Denali have the same front diff issue? It's probably the company I keep but have only heard about it with the SSS.

Yes they have exactly the same issues. While it does seem to happen more on the SS trucks, I would say it is either coincidence or the fact that the SS came from the factory with larger 20” wheels and tires vs the smaller 17” combination that the others came with. The additional load may bear some factor in bringing an early demise to the carrier bearings in the little 8.25” differentials. I believe it play’s a role in it, as people of have dressed out their Escalades or Denali’s with larger wheels and tires also seem to have issues, but these same people may have a tendency to run theirs harder as well, so who knows.