Trny Acting Up

Alright I have an 03 SS which is obviously AWD and the tranny has a transgo hd-2 shift kit vette 1-2 servos billet 4th servo and an accumulator piston latley Ive been noticing some strange things with the tranny. Sometimes I'll go to pull away from a stop light and the tranny gets stuck in first gear almost as if you just put the gear selector in first but as soon as I let off the gas it will go into second usually pretty hard it seems its done it too me 4 times in about the last 3 months and then today I get on it turning onto my road and the tranny down shifts like normal but then the truck just revved to 6 grand and it almost seems like it was just reving like not sending any power to the wheels but It was hard to tell if it was slipping or it just didnt up shift to the next gear and thats why the tach flew to 6 grand. I had my tranny guy do the shift kit and what not in the very beginning of september and while it was there he noticed the EPC solenoid was bad so he also replaced that, and Ive kind of noticed latley the gears seem to be lasting a little bit longer than usual especially during slower driving but that could also just be me being over sensitive. As far as other mods go ive got some LTs and exhaust work an intake and tune not sure that all that matters but I figured id post it just incase. But does anyone have any ideas of what could be going on with my tranny? I check the tranny fluid often and theres plenty in there and its still red and doesnt smell burnt. Im planning on bringing it back to my tranny guy on monday but Id also like to hear what you guys think as well! Oh and theres about 83K on the truck.

I can tell u this for what its worth, Ive had two 06 SS's prior, 1st one bran new and it did the exact same as yours w no tune or mods within 1st 1K miles, my 2nd, bought used, tuned w bolt ons with 59K, same thing, revving it till 6K rpm and wont shift outta 1st gear, now my V-max w sig. mods below, tune, and 64K and just did the revving thing last week too. All 3 65E tranny's were stock although my mechanic says I have a shift kit in my 65E now which I dont believe unless I installed it. So I think its the nature of these trucks (just to clarify to any who ask why my screen name is what it is when I dont own an SS, used to, been asked a few times about that lol) My point is that under 3 different scenarios of age, wear, trucks and years this continues to happen without any damage so far. I wouldnt worry. Btw, I do notice also that when it seems to be colder weather it holds shifts longer....

Edited by Bad aSS Silvy (see edit history)

As far as mods and tuning goes I have LTs a custom exhaust after the Lts intake and then the shift kit and so on and the truck is tuned with all that stuff on the truck it was still a mail order tune but I listed all that stuff as my mods. Whatevers going on I dont really think could be normal im bring it to my tranny guy sunday night and hes very very good at diagnosing tranny stuff. When I first got the truck back from getting the tranny mods and Lts and exhaust work the truck was awesome shifted good and it ripped, latley ive kind of noticed the gears seem to be lasting a lot longer than they should or atleast longer than they did about a month and a half ago. For some reason I have a feeling it might be something to do with the torque converter the reason I say that is because like usually when I easy on the gas from a dead stop it will take a second for the truck to start moving almost like the tranny has to spin a little bit to catch and then it will go, and even more latley sometimes when I start the truck it will lunge forward. And a few days before the tranny did the whole rev to 6 grand thing I got on the gas in the same spot actually and when it did shift it almost felt like there was a soft spot when it shifted like something was starting to slip. And then another reason is I just recently had some new nitto nt420s put on along with 2in drop shackles in the back and the torsion bars cranked down a little in the front and I had some vibrations with my old tires so as soon as I got the truck on the high way I brought it up to 90 a couple times and it as smooth as could be and then later that day is when the tranny did the whole rev too 6 grand deal and ever since then I have this weird vibration on the highway but its not a constant thing like say your doing around 75mph just cruising with your foot just lightly on the gas its fine then you just start to slightly ease on the gas and it will start to vibrate and then you can almost feel something surge a tiny bit then the vibration will almost go away but like I said it doesnt happen all the time which I would think say the tires were out of balance then it would do it all the time at the exact same speeds so I was almost thinking that maybe the converter is on its way out the door and the vibration I feel could be it trying to lock or unlock and then the little surge I feel is it correcting itself? I could be totally wrong but its driving me nuts having to wait till monday to drop it off with my tranny guy to figure out whats wrong I just keep thinking of what it could be. Im still driving it just going very easy on it since its my only vehicle at the moment and it drives fine minus the highway vibration and the fact the gears seem to last longer than normal. And my front diff is starting to howl a little louder so that has to be delt with eventually but as soon as that front diff goes I think im going to dtich the AWD and go 2wd to just keep things much more simple maybe even a 80e swap that way I dont even have to worry about trannys anymore!

Did you change tire size on your new Nittos? if so, you need to get re-tuned for that. That change could be causing your speed sensors to not be recognizing your speed correctly and holding the shifts longer and/or making them sloppy in mid to high range.

There 285/50-20s so they are a different size but when mounted there about the same height and only about a half inch wider and the the tranny was shifting weird before the tires anyways so the tires shouldnt be the problem. I imagine a change that slight in size would make that much difference and need to be retuned anyways. Id prefer to not get retuned for them unless I have to just because I dont feel like dealing with doing a crank relearn again just for a different tire size