Need Maintenance Opinions

My truck has hit 55,000 miles and I need to take care of a few things. I noticed the other day that one of my oil cooler lines is leaking at the crimp where it goes from aluminum to rubber. Should I try to bring these lines in to a place that could possibly rebuild them or should I just buy new ones? I am going to do this next month when I change my oil. I am also planning to do some other maintenance items like adding grease to all the zerk fittings, etc. Is there any other things I should do? It still has the original tranny fluid and differential fluid. Should I change that all too?

Thanks David

David,

If it was me, I would replace the lines just for peace of mind, I would also do a tranny flush, coolant flush, plugs, wires ect... Over all just a good tune up so every thing will be fresh and you can have a warm fuzzy about every thing. This is just my opinions every one is diffrent but this is what I do to my SSS every 1-2 years

Things I'd do and have done at that mileage:

Differential oil change!, gasket change if leaking only, just drain using drain plug, refill using a full synthetic 75-90w GL5 rated

Trans flush, filter and gasket, use Dexron VI or RP

Plugs and wires of your choice

coolant flush w Dex-Cool

inspect front brakes!! had to do mine at 59K, rear drums done last week at 64K

lube those zerks

allignment

if you wanna get crazy also flush your power steering and brakes and clean your MAF sensor

I did all this upon buying my V-Max at 59K, i just like starting fresh since i didnt receive any service records

Also clean and inspect your CAI or stock filter

I mean all this is NOT necessary but I'd do it now. Pull your tranny dipstick, read at bottom what it says. Dexron III or Dexron VI required? If III change it! VI is good supposedly for 100K. Plugs and wires too good up to 100K supposedly again, anyway up to you sir....

Edited by Bad aSS Silvy (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Would you guys go with OEM oil cooler lines? I priced them out today at the dealer. They are $140 plus a $6 block gasket.

i would try and find a place that makes custom pressure lines. it might be cheaper than going to the dealer. we have a industrial hardware store here that can make pressure lines using your old fittings, and warranty their work..

good luck

Yeah I am just worried about putting more OEM lines on and replacing them down the road again. Seems like this is a common problem with these trucks. I believe there is a place near where I live that could rebuild the lines better for cheaper.

i would try and find a place that makes custom pressure lines. it might be cheaper than going to the dealer. we have a industrial hardware store here that can make pressure lines using your old fittings, and warranty their work..

good luck

Edited by sdimedude (see edit history)