Will These Trucks Ever Be Collectors?

scooter3

I go to Barrett Jackson every year when it comes to Scottsdale and I see these cars that I drooled over when I was a kid. Chevelles, Mustangs, Cudas and I was wondering if the SS trucks will ever be collectors one day like these cars are now? The reason I ask is I have tossed around the idea of actually selling my truck. I hardly drive it and it just sits in the garage collecting dust. When I do drive it, it does get a lot of attention. I don't need to sell it, but was wondering if it would be worth holding onto for the next 10 or 20 years?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my opinon, definitely yes, especially urs being an 06 unique only to that year. Like the 59, 60 and 64 Cadillacs, those uniquely had bodystyles only for one year. The SS's are getting more scarce day by day. I havent seen one in L.A. even for awhile now. I have a 95 Caprice 9C1 cop car I have held on to for 10 years, started driving it again last year as my DD and it gets many comments and looks being a 16 yr old car. Soon to be a classic. I feel the SS's will definitely be a collectors item soon to come!

I think they will be, they seem to be some of the most popular trucks these days. Everyone is trying to copy them, and make clones sort of like people used to do with old 69' Camaro's and make a non SS camaro into an SS one. That's my opinion. Chevy_anim.gif

I hope they do one day Im not looking to sell mine anytime soon. Now that you guys mentioned this I wonder if all my modifications is gonna hurt the value lol

Adam

I was wondering the same thing. Mine is pretty much stock except for the intake and tune. If need be I can put all the original parts back on since I have kept everthing. I rarely see other SS's running around. And the ones I do see are pretty much beat.

Thanks for the input guys!

Don’t know if they would be collectors. The older 454SS don't seem to be worth much. Seen some for sale on eBay and they didn't sell for what the owner wanted. They might be a collector item in 30+ years but I wouldn't hold me breath.

Sadly, I do not feel there is any real collector value in the 2nd gen SS Silverado. The production volume and no numbering sequence alone limits their value. I would enjoy the truck for what it is now and just hope for a good resale market in the future.

Sadly, I do not feel there is any real collector value in the 2nd gen SS Silverado. The production volume and no numbering sequence alone limits their value. I would enjoy the truck for what it is now and just hope for a good resale market in the future.

What he said.

Its hard to say if they will become a collectors item or not. My dad has a 69 chevelle he got brand new the day he turned 16 and he still has it. He always beleived that it would be a collectors item one day, but most people at that time did not think so. Now they are huge collectors items, and every time we go to a char show, people come up to my dad look at his car and say the same thing: " I use to have a car just like this, and man i wish i would have kept it".

I guess we will know if the SS is a colectors item in about 20-30 years :D

All new cars start to loose value on the day they are bought, they devalue like a stone; but after a while, say 5-7 years, they will have finished devaluing. A new car looses 10% of its value the moment it leaves the lot; it looses 15-25% each year after purchase, after 5-years it's only worth 1/3rd of what you paid for it. But when that 'bottom point' has been reached, the car will not loose any more of its value (assuming you keep it in brand new condition). This is actually a great tip for used car buying, you always want to buy a car that is 4-5 years old because that's the age (generally) that it will be the cheapest price for the best value. Pickup trucks defy this a little (versus cars) because no matter how beat to piss a truck is, it has utilitarian use - some contractor out there will buy it to haul stuff if nothing else; there is no such thing as a 'valueless truck', there are 'valueless cars' and this is when they are ready for the junkyard (aka the beater!) but there are rarely used trucks in the junkyards because guys fix them and keep using them for work trucks, ranch trucks, etc.

Anyways - sorry to digress...

You have a collectible car when you see its value rebound and begin to appreciate; the stronger the collectible, the sooner this will happen in the vehicle's life. A good example of this is the Buick Grand National, or GNX - the resale value for these cars depreciated for only a couple years, and by the 3rd to 4th year their value rebounded and rocketed upwards steeply. On the other hand is a 1965 Mustang, their values did eventually rebound and become collectible but it took 25-35 years to do so. At the bottom-end, the value of my own 2000 Buick Regal GS never 'rebounded' and the car is worth about $1500, because it has no inherent collectible value - it's a beater.

IMO the SS Intimidator trucks are already showing collectibility, you can already see their prices beginning to rebound. Even though they are no more/less luxurious than the original 2003 SS trucks, the SSI trucks are a numbered edition and that has made all the difference. I am talking about SSI trucks with low miles and all documentation, btw.

The non-SSI trucks - well the problem with these trucks is that GM watered them down option-wise in the later years, the best optioned trucks are the original 2003 trucks (little things like differing door upholstery, digital climate control, etc). So my personal outlook is that yes, they will become collectible but it will take 20-30 years, and the truck needs to be as original as possible with all original paperwork and documentation and provenance etc. The crappy thing working for the collectibility of these trucks is their theft rate today, a lot of them are stolen so they must be desireable!!! But does desireability = collectibility? Only after a long, long time. And I agree with Krambo, even though the original SS trucks will be collectible I don't see their value exceeding their original worth (adjusted for inflation).

I think the valuation of the Silverado SS trucks 25-years from now will be like the valuation of a well-optioned 1969 Chevy Truck today; desireable, collectible, cool, but just not having a hammer price worth more than it would cost to restore one.

...I wonder if all my modifications is gonna hurt the value...

If the mods are "period correct" then no, that will not hurt the vehicle's value; it won't add anything to the vehicle's value, but it won't hurt anything either as long as the mods are expertly executed, show great craftsmanship, and were done by the original owner at/near the time the vehicle was first purchased. The Radix is a good example, because (30-years from now) it will be viewed as a "period-correct modification", likewise installing a C5-R; installing a new-fangled direct-injection V8 motor will not be period correct, even though that coming motor will make 10% more power and run cleaner and a lot of people in the future generation will be doing this engine swap. It's the mods that are done loooong after the vehicle was purchased that raise eyebrows. Another VERY important suggestion, no matter what mods you do to your truck, ALWAYS keep the original parts off your truck in the attic, this will matter greatly later. Borrowing a phrase, ALWAYS keep your stock sh!t!!!

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

If the mods are "period correct" then no, that will not hurt the vehicle's value; it won't add anything to the vehicle's value, but it won't hurt anything either as long as the mods are expertly executed, show great craftsmanship, and were done by the original owner at/near the time the vehicle was first purchased. The Radix is a good example, because (30-years from now) it will be viewed as a "period-correct modification", likewise installing a C5-R; installing a new-fangled direct-injection V8 motor will not be period correct, even though that coming motor will make 10% more power and run cleaner and a lot of people in the future generation will be doing this engine swap. It's the mods that are done loooong after the vehicle was purchased that raise eyebrows. Another VERY important suggestion, no matter what mods you do to your truck, ALWAYS keep the original parts off your truck in the attic, this will matter greatly later. Borrowing a phrase, ALWAYS keep your stock sh!t!!!

Mr. P. :)

K howeabout the cosmetic mods, like me, i have the chin spoiler that i had to drill hole in to the bumper to put on, black ducts and bages, and regular W/T wheels, i know i can get replica wheels but the ones i have now are period corrrect right?

med_gallery_13274_466_1238647.jpg

i know that from the moment i added the the first mod it would loose value, according to me watchin barrot-jackson, but i also see so VEEEEEERY modified cars, replicas and clones that do very well?