Pros And Cons Of Nitrous

Brunswicks SS

It's a cheaper way to get quick horsepower often at the expense of your engine internals, transmission, and general drivetrain. Cheap, fast, reliable <- those are your three options and you can only choose two. You want a fast truck, there's nothing wrong with nitrous per se, but I would recommend beefing up just about everything depending on how big of a shot you're going to be running.

Hey, while you're at it and getting forged internals, why not just turbo, twin turbo, or supercharge it? Saves you all the hassle!

It's a cheaper way to get quick horsepower often at the expense of your engine internals, transmission, and general drivetrain. Cheap, fast, reliable <- those are your three options and you can only choose two. You want a fast truck, there's nothing wrong with nitrous per se, but I would recommend beefing up just about everything depending on how big of a shot you're going to be running.

Hey, while you're at it and getting forged internals, why not just turbo, twin turbo, or supercharge it? Saves you all the hassle!

Don't have 4grand to get a turbo set only like a grand and I alredy have basic boltons. Cai, headers, exhaust, tune and so with the grand I have I can gett a nitrous kit and tranny upgrades needed. It would be a 75shot and a 100shot for the track. I got to the track about every 3 weeks

Don't have 4grand to get a turbo set only like a grand and I alredy have basic boltons. Cai, headers, exhaust, tune and so with the grand I have I can gett a nitrous kit and tranny upgrades needed. It would be a 75shot and a 100shot for the track. I got to the track about every 3 weeks

nitrous is the MOST CONSISTENT form of forced induction. a 75 shot u wouldnt even feel when it sprayed. i had a 100 shot on my truck with my cam and tranny beffed plus all the other bolt ons.

u can run nitrous in cold or hot weather and it will run DEAD on to what its suppose to do. when u get a blower u have to worry about atmospheric pressure and temperature that will change in the tune. honestly if u have a grand id beef the crap out of ur tranny and get a good TCS stall. nitrous will be fun, but ive seen people blow through fully built trannys like mine (same builder did a lot of ours) with a 150 shot, lts, cam, etc...

and u cant build a 65e better than a jerry tranny like the one i have unless u have billet input/output shafts.

the factory timing tables and fuel tables are so variable that u could spray a 75 shot without touching the tune and still have no problems.

Nitrous Oxide is not Forced induction, it is Fuel. same a alcohol, nitromethane, E95, whatever...

I very respectfully disagree - nitrous is NOT a fuel; it is an oxidizer, and a nitrous kit is a form of forced induction. Nitrous oxide is not combustable alone by itself (like oxygen).

You are correct about NITROMETHANE, it's a different animal, not only is an oxidizer but also a fuel, which is why it makes a terriffic bomb! It is a fuel that also carries its own oxygen so it will burn without air (aka rocket fuel).

The function of 'traditional' forced induction (blower, turbo) is to mechanically get more oxygen (than available in the atmosphere) into the motor - and nitrous does exactly this too. You have to add that extra (enrichment) fuel with nitrous oxide injection, just like with a turbo or supercharger kit.

Of the forced induction systems, Nitrous Oxide Injection has the highest specific density inside the cylinder chamber; this is why it wants so much timing retard during use - the flame front of a nitrous-activated combustion charge is almost as fast as that in a nitromethane powered engine, the actual burn event happens in many fewer crank degrees than a similarly-performing turbo or blower motor.

Pros - proven, quick/straightforward installation, easily hidden (for clandestine use), monster impact in torque increases, "makes its own atmosphere" in the intake so vehicle runs the same no matter what the 'real' weather is like and this is why it is used on vehicles in the deep south, most consistent performing form of forced induction which is why it's used in competition.

Cons - constantly refilling the bottle, most expensive form of forced induction over the long run, increased risk of engine damage if running lean on system activation, cannot activate until 3000-RPM without risking driving over your own ejected crankshaft (unlike a good turbo!), greatly increased risk of damage if detonation is encountered, harshest form of forced induction on drivetrain (trans, axles) due to instant torque increase, very easy to overdo it and jet-up and exceed strength of engine or drivetrain, least forgiving form of forced induction with regard to PCM tune (tune has *got* to be correct, no tolerance for tuning mistakes), easy to half-ass an install and skimp on safety or fueling components, very hard to get anyone to race you because they'll never believe "it only has a 50-shot in it right now..." lol.

MAJOR CON: illegal as F!&k on a street-driven car - no insurance underwriter will cover a vehicle with a nitrous kit installed, if you wreck your vehicle and the insurance adjuster discovers a nitrous kit they will instantly drop coverage (even if it wasn't hooked up or in use at the time, I checked this thoroughly), even show-car and specialty insurance companies (they'll cover turbo's and blowers, but never nitrous). In almost all areas it's illegal to have pressurized systems (like nitrous) fitted to a vehicle, either emissions regulations or safety regulations or street racing regulations etc, if a cop pulls you over and sees a functioning nitrous kit on your vehicle he *can* decide to make a major issue with you about it on the side of the road for an hour as he dreams-up anything he can cite you on because that is considered race-use only equipment, LEOs frown on vehicles with nitrous bottles plumbed and ready to fire on a car on public roads.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

I very respectfully disagree - nitrous is NOT a fuel; it is an oxidizer, and a nitrous kit is a form of forced induction. Nitrous oxide is not combustable alone by itself (like oxygen).

You are correct about NITROMETHANE, it's a different animal, not only is an oxidizer but also a fuel, which is why it makes a terriffic bomb! It is a fuel that also carries its own oxygen so it will burn without air (aka rocket fuel).

The function of 'traditional' forced induction (blower, turbo) is to mechanically get more oxygen (than available in the atmosphere) into the motor - and nitrous does exactly this too. You have to add that extra (enrichment) fuel with nitrous oxide injection, just like with a turbo or supercharger kit.

Of the forced induction systems, Nitrous Oxide Injection has the highest specific density inside the cylinder chamber; this is why it wants so much timing retard during use - the flame front of a nitrous-activated combustion charge is almost as fast as that in a nitromethane powered engine, the actual burn event happens in many fewer crank degrees than a similarly-performing turbo or blower motor.

Mr P.

Racing Sanctioning Bodies classify Nitrous is as Fuel. It differs from (classic) Forced Induction because it doesn't raise the intake pressure to the manifold.

I don't disagree with you that both systems introduce more oxygen, just in different ways. I really didn't want to go into the Oxidizer discussion and thank you for saving me a lot of typing.

Most people get into trouble with Nitrous by letting things get too lean, that's when you start using pistons and valves for fuel in place of the gas that should accompany the additional oxygen.

Best thing to do is put in a nice Cam, best HP to $ ratio of all modifications. (IMHO)

Mr P.

Racing Sanctioning Bodies classify Nitrous is as Fuel. It differs from (classic) Forced Induction because it doesn't raise the intake pressure to the manifold...

Totally understand and respect your comments :cheers:

Yeah why some certain sanctioning bodies choose to call it a fuel, I dunno :dunno: Personally I would have penned the rulebook a little differently by calling it an "externally pressurized oxidizer" or some other such description...

Good point on the intake observation - forgot to think about that!

Mr. P. :)

Totally understand and respect your comments :cheers:

Yeah why some certain sanctioning bodies choose to call it a fuel, I dunno :dunno: Personally I would have penned the rulebook a little differently by calling it an "externally pressurized oxidizer" or some other such description...

Good point on the intake observation - forgot to think about that!

Mr. P. :)

Alright thanks guys well I'm going to get but not put it on til I get everything spot on first thanks alot