Please Help... Tranny Issues, I Need Your Expert Advice Asap!

Installed my transgo shift kit today, followed all instructions to the letter. Now I dont have overdrive, drive, or 3rd gear. Please call me if you can offer advice or you can at least give me the number to someone who can help. 580 919 6955

Sent from my Samsung Vibrant using Tapatalk

Well I got the truck back in the shop and I took the valvebody out for cleaning and teardown, I went to remove the vette servo out to make sure it was installed correctly and I got the cover, gold rings, eclip, spring, washer out but I cant get the piston out. It wont turn wiggle or budge at all.... My questions are could that be my problem? And how the hell do I get it out? Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I really need some help on this!

Oh man - sounds like the servo is cocked in the bore; I did this on my own transmission the first time I installed my shift kit, and I remember I lost 4th & overdrive. I had to remove the transmission from the truck in order to get the servo out, I tried for days until I just gave up and dropped the trans. You have to be VERY careful removing the servo, the servo housing bore is VERY precisely machined, you cannot nick, scratch, or gouge the inner surface of that bore or it's screwed (the servo seals will never hold). The fact that the piston is 'rocked' in the bore means that it is already possibly 'dug in' to the bore surface on one side; you first have to manipulate the piston so as to re-square it to the centerline of the bore, and do so in a way as to not mar or damage the bore any further. If there is any mark in the bore (after removing the servo) it will have to be polished out before reassembly, if there is a gouge in that servo bore then it's junk and the entire case of the transmission will have to be replaced.

My recommendation - you have an advanced problem which unfortunately happens to a few of us; drop the transmission from the truck and get it to an experienced transmission tech to help correctly dislodge the cocked servo.

Mr. P.

Oh man - sounds like the servo is cocked in the bore; I did this on my own transmission the first time I installed my shift kit, and I remember I lost 4th & overdrive. I had to remove the transmission from the truck in order to get the servo out, I tried for days until I just gave up and dropped the trans. You have to be VERY careful removing the servo, the servo housing bore is VERY precisely machined, you cannot nick, scratch, or gouge the inner surface of that bore or it's screwed (the servo seals will never hold). The fact that the piston is 'rocked' in the bore means that it is already possibly 'dug in' to the bore surface on one side; you first have to manipulate the piston so as to re-square it to the centerline of the bore, and do so in a way as to not mar or damage the bore any further. If there is any mark in the bore (after removing the servo) it will have to be polished out before reassembly, if there is a gouge in that servo bore then it's junk and the entire case of the transmission will have to be replaced.

My recommendation - you have an advanced problem which unfortunately happens to a few of us; drop the transmission from the truck and get it to an experienced transmission tech to help correctly dislodge the cocked servo.

Mr. P.

Same thing happened to me too. My problem was that the snap ring groove was corroded and allowed the snap ring to come out of the groove on half of it. Cocked the piston in the bore and could not get it out. I took the trans out and found the bore to be messed up too. I ended up getting a built trans after the case was junk. Hopefully the $80 servo didn't cause you to have to get a new trans like some of us.

Well it brings me some relief knowing such knowlegeable folks had the same problem as I have. You are exactly right mr p, the 2nd intermediate servo was canted inside of the bore due to my own inexperience. I too was not able to seat the semi-circular retaining ring around the cover but instead of corrosion being the issue, clearance was the issue. I thought I had the ring in evenly all the way around in the groove when in all actuality it was slight out of line on the top. When I got the truck back to the shop to do a teardown/reassembly and "check my answers" so to speak, I had everything out from the separator plate to the pan and when I was attempting to remove the vette servo and found it impossible with the tranny in the truck. I knew at that moment I had phucked up and the only answer was to take it to a professional. The transmission shop (meridian transmission in puyallup wa, very good guys they really hooked it up) confirmed what I had thought and what you guys have said. When the servo gets cocked in the bore like that it digs in because the case is so precise and rather soft, and when its cocked while the piston is depressed or applying it engages bands when they shouldnt be and burns up clutches, pumps, bands, scars the drum, and ultimately causes the tranny to need a rebuild. Gears affected be this are 3rd, 4th, and reverse. In conclusion, after tearing the tranny down completely they decided that I could either purchase a new/rebuilt transmission or have them rebuild it for around 2,500$!!! I told them to rebuild it. The rebuild includes a 2400-2600 stall the re-installation of my shift kit (inluding the clutch drag fix kit that goes inside the drum) polished case and valvebody, what the owner of the shop calls performance clutches and bands (kevlar or teflon I dont remember) as well as front diff fluid change with "performance" gear lube and b&m trick shift tranny fluid! The owner had an sss he bought in 03 and sold in 05 so he sorta knew how I feel about my truck and knew by looking at the time/money ive put into my vehicle that I would want those things. The best part of it all, he gave me the performance parts at cost and gave 10% military discount! Anyway, ive already written a damn book on this topuc so ill end by saying this

WHEN INTALLING YOUR OWN SHIFT KIT ONE OR BOTH OF THESE TWO THINGS MUST BE DONE

1) REMOVE THE TRANNY SO YOU CAN ACTUALLY INSURE THAT LITTLE RING AROUND THE SERVO HOUSING IS SEATED PROPERLY OR

2) HAVE A BENT SCREWDRIVER OR SOME OTHER DEVICE TO ALLOW YOU TO APPLY PRESSURE TO THE RING ALL THE WAY AROUND. DO NOT GET LAZY HERE FOLKS IT WILL COST YOU SOME MONEY AND SOME PRECIOUS TIME!

I feel that transgo should add this disclaimer to there instructions and video lol! Thanks folks!

... I thought I had the ring in evenly all the way around in the groove when in all actuality it was slight out of line on the top...

You did exactly the same mistake I did. Glad to hear you found good people to help you out.

Mr. P.