More Rpm'S

did a search with 'rpm' and 'more rpm' and turned up nothing. was wondering what had to be done to the motor to get another 1000 rpms, or would it be entirely too much on the completely stock setup im running, any info would be appreciated.

Might want to think about adding a chain dampener and a better set of lifters if you want to spin it that high along with krambo's suggestions.

Might want to think about adding a chain dampener and a better set of lifters if you want to spin it that high along with krambo's suggestions.

And a tune, and a LS6 intake and tb, and some headers W/O cats.

Not to mention the added stress on your drivetrain...................

Just get a 3k stall and not worry about more rpms.

did a search with 'rpm' and 'more rpm' and turned up nothing. was wondering what had to be done to the motor to get another 1000 rpms, or would it be entirely too much on the completely stock setup im running, any info would be appreciated.

The entire top-end of the motor would need upgrading, the bottom-end of the motor would not. Kevin mentioned upgrading the rod bolts and this is good insurance, but LQ4s hold together on the dyno until 8900-PRM then suffer rod failure. My opinion, the LQ9 bottom end is a lot stronger than most think for N/A applications as long as you use the stock crank (stroke).

Aftermarket heads.

Cam.

Valvetrain.

Timing Chain.

Intake Manifold, fuel rails.

Injectors.

Fuel Pump.

Headers.

Converter.

Tune.

Performance Transmission Build, for correct high-RPM operation.

Potential issues - the cam & converter will be pretty racy, it'll still be driveable but definitely not stock-mannered. BIG con is the valvesprings required for that kind of cam are expensive and will only last 40-50K-miles, just expect that every 2-3 years you will have to replace the valvesprings as regular maintenance. A converter that large (3000-3200) will kill city mileage.

An alternative - you can save a lot of money by using nitrous, because you can use factory heads, intake, and fuel rails; you will also be able to run a smaller converter (2800-3000) and less cam.

Do you have a performance goal, or do you just want a high-PRM screamer to say that you have one?!

Mr. P.

One BIG hidden issue you need to remember is the transmission will have issues with high-rpm operation, that's a whole other discussion - but it needs internal trans mods to assure correct pressure & oiling (hi-rev spring kit, boost valve, drum oiling mods, etc).

Mr. P.

ok, so if i was wanting to get more rpms by putting all those parts on, i might as well go for more power and keep it at 6k.

DING DING DING my 06 LQ9 red lines at 6k and thats plenty IMO. i wanted to up it to 6200 or 6300 but im sure i would run into some problems so im keeping it at 6k till i save up for stroker kit, cam, and trans. pepsicheer.gifpeelout.gif

You have to remember that these are trucks....

Heavy and not aerodynamic.

Very few of the engine, electronics, fuel system, and driveline parts are designed to take 7k rpm's.

If you want more top end change your gearing, and put in a higher stall. You will still need the torque to get you moving.

IMO unless you are building a drag truck you shouldn't have to put these motors over 6200.

You would have alot of time on a dyno to get it tuned in over 6200 with everything you would have to do to the motor, fuel system, and trans.

For the cost to get a motor blueprinted and balanced for that kind of setup, you can put on a supercharger or turbos and make more USEABLE power.