Tc Solenoid Or Torque Convertor Failure

I need some help on figuring it out before I go pulling it out if it is the convertor. While driving the tranny acts like its surging back and forth between torque convertor locked up and unlocked. I can hear it through the exhaust and feel it while driving. Truck is a 06 with 61k miles on it. Has the shift kit with the servos and the trucool tranny cooler. Has been in the truck about 20000 miles. Its full on fluid and the fluid doesn't smell burnt and is still red. Any ideas on what it could be?

CEL on? Usually when the solenoids fail, a code is thrown. If you have a way to hook the truck up to HPT, you can watch data as you manually lock/unlock the converter while driving to see what it does. It will also tell you the % loss by the converter in which case you might have fried the disk(s) in the converter.

Usually with the clutch packs, you will feel the truck slipping (like the motor is spinning high but you're not moving much faster). Does the truck ever get "stuck" in a gear?

If not, I would guess the tc is the problem.

Edited by SSplaytoy (see edit history)

At a particular speed where you're cruising, do you feel the tc engage/disengage? If the truck gets that neutral feeling while you're on the gas and it feels like it's kicking, you could have burnt up the clutch packs and the tc is on it's way out. There weren't any flakes in the fluid right?

the transmissio. Has been going for 20( miles and not given a lick of problems. Engines in good working running condition. Thanks for the suggestions. It keeps going it hasn't really gone into the complete neutral feeling. Its as I've said really just the convertor locking and unlocking. Fluid still looks like I poored it out of the bottle and it doesn't have any flakes in it.

Does it pop in and out of OD at a certain speed, or is it at various speeds? Sounds to me like your TC clutch is shot......when it pops in and out of OD like that, it usually means the TC clutch frictions are worn out, are slipping, and cannot stay locked up. The bad thing is that if you catch it too late, the TC could have sent friction material throughout your transmission, which can cause further damage. I would expect the worst, sorry to say....

my truck had the feeling of it getting stuck it lock up while driving and when i would come to a stop, the engine would bog down and stall some times.

it ended up being the converter.

Edited by silverado_ss_04 (see edit history)

Okay. Guys pulled the valve body down and the servos out. The culprit to my transmission. Premature wear of the 4th gear band. We shimmed the servos 1/100 and I now have 4th and no more fluctuations. But I will be in the future of rebuilding the 4l70 in the future so for help out what would you guys recommend to beef up this transmission