Belt Issues

Ok, It's been a while since I posted here, but just to recap, I have a 408 with a D1-SC ProCharger and I recently upgraded my alternator to a 200 amp. Also recently I have been having issues with what I believe is belt slip. I can accelerate at just under half throttle and I can watch my volt meter slip down to almost 10, and once I level off to a steady cruise it will come back up to 14. Then the other day I decided to step on it and the belt came completely off. I don't know if my tensioner is getting wore out, or if there is just too much resistance with the higher boost blower along with the high amp alternator, OR if the belt is just a tad too big now and I need to go to a smaller size belt. This is my second tensioner I have had on this truck because the first one snapped in half, but that was a few years ago. When I had to put my belt back on the other day after it fell off, the tensioner did feel like it still had good resistance to it and when I watched it while the truck was at idol I didn't see it move around at all, it stayed very steady.

Any suggestions? I also read a few posts of people using an HD tensioner but I have no idea what an HD tensioner is. Do you mean a tensioner from a heavy duty truck?

Check your Alt on another vehicle first, I had a 145amp alt. regulator go out on my truck. It was an alt that was less than 5 months old when it went out. It would hold a charge at idle and cruise, but at moderate acceleration, I would loose all voltage.

this doesn't rule out belt slip either.

The spring in the tensioner could be losing some of it's load and not be keeping the belt tight enough at the higher rpm's or you may have stretched the belt somewhat. Have you tried a new belt to see if it does the same thing?

It is actually a brand new belt that is on there. I had my main pulley fall off about a month ago (I have no idea how) and I had a new one put on and a new belt at the same time. Have only driven maybe 200 miles since that happened.

• 3 weeks later...

Katech sells HD tensioners for pick up trucks(also F bodys and Vettes),I think Comp Cams also sells an HD tensioner for the trucks(I know they do for cars)

What manufacturers 200 amp alternator???It would only take a longer belt with a overdrive pulley,most alt manufacturers will tell you if they put on an od alt pulley.

Katech sells HD tensioners for pick up trucks(also F bodys and Vettes),I think Comp Cams also sells an HD tensioner for the trucks(I know they do for cars)

What manufacturers 200 amp alternator???It would only take a longer belt with a overdrive pulley,most alt manufacturers will tell you if they put on an od alt pulley.

I've looked at comp cams stuff and I haven't seen anything that suggests that they make anything other than a stock option or a manual.

the HD tensioner is a ford part, you swap over your pulley/idler.

you could watch with trcuk running and have someone hit the gas and see what the belt does??

Still having issues finding it. Would anyone be so kind as to send me a link? Thanks.

Ok, so I had a buddy help me do some looking and apparently we found the part. It is a Gates tensioner (for fords) and this is what people use when they put blowers on GM stuff like a Cadillac. Supposedly a direct bolt on replacement... NOT! It isn't even close. WTF, I'm so frustrated!

Edit: So there must be some kind of bracket to get this thing to bolt on properly. Anyone have any insight? I called Magnacharger to see if their bracket would work but they said no.

Edited by gabbett1 (see edit history)