Street Racing?

hottelboy

Ok so I have been looking at youtube and streetfire at street racing. I was under the assumption that (street racing) was racing your STREET car/truck against others, but it seems like most of these vids are full on dragsters that are tubbed and wheelie bars. So feel free to explain to me what street racing is, I guess im confused. Should you rollup to a street race pulling your dragster on the trailer? WTF

Street racing is pretty much illegally racing on the street with whatever vehicle you wanna race. It can be for fun or money. Everyone has done it, though it's not that smart. You can hurt or kill someone else or yourself or wind up without a license and a shitload of fines.

Ok maybe i worded it wrong . I know what street racing is and that its dangerous, but at what point did it become " I bet my dragster is faster than yours on an open road?" I believe that that street racing is fine if done in a reasonable area.

Ok maybe i worded it wrong . I know what street racing is and that its dangerous, but at what point did it become " I bet my dragster is faster than yours on an open road?" I believe that that street racing is fine if done in a reasonable area.

This is an old saying that you may have heard. "Run what you brung"

That is another reason why people build sleepers.

I know of about 20 guys that have 9 and 10 second street legal cars with full cages, chutes and bars. I know that over half of them would never "street race" because of the risks and the fact that it's in an uncontrolled environment.

The fact that track ready cars and trucks come out to play on the street is up to the owner or driver. Just remember that all it takes is a piece of debris to slice a tire, or an oil spot on the road, or you or the person your racing to blow a line and your screwed.

Ok, Im just suprised that so many people have such extreme cars/trucks on the street I guess. I guess I looked at it like the "minor league" of the drag strip.If you know what I mean by that. By all means I understand the saying "run what you brung" but damn.

Edited by hottelsss (see edit history)

well from personal expirence i can tell you i had fun doin it, both in the SSS and my COBRA.whatchin that light turn green and all hell breaking lose

But i can also tell you from expirience that there were times when i knew what i was doin was wrong and i would eventually get cought, witch i did, im not going to go in to detail about how many races i ran with both cars (know i reallize how stupid it was) . what i am going to tell you is that i paid close two 2,000$ in fines and have two points in my dryving record, witch are suppossed to come off this year, although i know they will still be their in some form, not to mention the embbrasement of being pulled over and having to sit on the curve while they took my baby away for a month!!.

in the end i think its the adrenaline and excitment that makes us do it. as for me ive retired from street racing, and will hopefully (once i buy my own helmet) go to the track and race their.

we learn from our mistakes

Edited by Vidalss (see edit history)

There is nothing like street racing being on the tack is just not the same as a street race. Going to the track is the responcible thing to do but it doesn't compare to a random street race. I get what your saying about the full drag cars showing up at street races kinda gay if you ask me, takes the guessing out of the whole mystery of the guy your running .but that just my opinion...

Haha, street racers that think they are really fast just makes me laugh. Dont get me wrong there are "some" fast street cars but the more power you have the less traction you have....thats just a plain fact.

Get a dragster to hook up on anything but a well dressed track will NEVER happen, I do know that for a fact cuz I do own one.(and yes I did try) Even a 10 second car with bars and a chute (yes been there too) wont hook up on the street. The joke at the track is I've never seen so many 16 second cars on the track that were 12 second street cars last night on the street crackup.gif

There is nothing like street racing being on the tack is just not the same as a street race. Going to the track is the responcible thing to do but it doesn't compare to a random street race. I get what your saying about the full drag cars showing up at street races kinda gay if you ask me, takes the guessing out of the whole mystery of the guy your running .but that just my opinion...

:pepsicheer:

We have 3 scenarios/venues around here.

1. The sooped up ricer guys do a late night thing - slow beaters and mean turbo cars show up. I've seen the vids but never been and it's only 10 min away.

Not an inteligent crowd and definate trouble waiting to happen. They race their junk for fun.

2. Late nite on desolate secondary highway see's big money cars roll in on trailers from as far as an hour+ away. They race for $$$

3. THE BERLIN TURNPIKE - even has a website... The place I go for a little fun a few times a year in season. Zillions of cars - all types, cruising up and back a 5? plus mile

stretch with lots of lights, 2 and 3 lanes wide. Much fun.....

I'm in process of selling my low 10 sec Buick to a street racer who totaled his Buick this summer during a raceat 100+ .

He would be dead if not for his cage.

My "street car" has cage NHRA certified to 8.5sec and he will again be racing for $2500 - $3000.