Oil Choice

Brunswicks SS

Oil Choice  

127 members have voted

1. 1. What oil do you use?

• 7 months later...

My preferred oil at the moment is Rotella T6 5W-40; my fallback is Mobil1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil. Both are available at Walmart. The only filter I use is the Mobil1-206.

The reason I use 5W-40 instead of 5W-30 is because after adding the blower the motor's a little harder on oil now! The Mobil1 5W-30 was shot after 2500-miles.

Pre-supercharger the Mobile1 5W-40 TDT lasted 4200-miles between change intervals and the engine didn't consume a drop IMO it was perfect; post-blower with the Mobile1 5W-40 TDT oil I have to add 1/4-qt at 2000-miles and the oil is pretty used-up at about 3000+ miles, you can tell there is a lot more heat in the bottom-end of the motor cooking the oil.

The Rotella T6 has more zinc in it, I am hoping that will improve mileage between oil changes - I won't know how it compares against the Mobil1 5W-40 TDT until after a couple more oil changes.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

My preferred oil at the moment is Rotella T6 5W-40; my fallback is Mobil1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil. Both are available at Walmart. The only filter I use is the Mobil1-206.

The reason I use 5W-40 instead of 5W-30 is because after adding the blower the motor's a little harder on oil now! The Mobil1 5W-30 was shot after 2500-miles.

Pre-supercharger the Mobile1 5W-40 TDT lasted 4200-miles between change intervals and the engine didn't consume a drop IMO it was perfect; post-blower with the Mobile1 5W-40 TDT oil I have to add 1/4-qt at 2000-miles and the oil is pretty used-up at about 3000+ miles, you can tell there is a lot more heat in the bottom-end of the motor cooking the oil.

The Rotella T6 has more zinc in it, I am hoping that will improve mileage between oil changes - I won't know how it compares against the Mobil1 5W-40 TDT until after a couple more oil changes.

Mr. P.

Mr. P, check out www.bobistheoilguy.com

This guy tests all kinds of oil and oil filters. He swears by Rotella T6 so good pick on that note, I am going to be doing my next oil change with that too. As for the filter he recommends Purelator Pure One. The worst oil filters he tests are Fram so avoid those like the plague. Cruise that site if you get a chance, lots of good information for us particular gear heads

Not laughing here. I run conventional as well however Valvoline VR1 10-30, every 1k.

I was thinking about running the VR1 oil in my new motor once its in the truck because i heard it has good amount of zinc in it and its better suited for applications such as mine. however, the 1k mile oil change intervals would kill me even with the cheaper oil...

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since this has gotten some bumps lately, I just wanted to remind everyone that if you don't have a local AMSOIL dealer you deal with, I can order whatever you need. I just charge wholesale plus $10 for every $50 spent. That usually comes up to right around, or a little cheaper shipped to you than you could get it for at local retail.